Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Glass deep cleaning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

flh801978

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a friend whose wife has opened a cake shop/cafe
The premises previously were a hairdressers with large signwriting in the windows stuck on letters type of thing
The lettering has been removed with a mixture of blade and peeling and then a variety of solvents and to all intents the glass is now spotless to look at and to touch
However when the windows condensed up the previous lettering can be clearly seen.

Has anyone any ideas on what to use to clean the window so it doesnt happen?

Ian

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Try a mild abrasive eg brasso on a small area of the glass that was underneath the letters

Brian

carlb40

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends on how long the signs were on the glass for? Plus the location. Don't forget glass like everything else weathers. So what you are seeing might be newer protected glass compared to weathered glass. So you might have to sit it out.

flh801978

Established Member
Reaction score
I took him in some MEK ( methyl ethyl ketone) and that with a green scourer and lots of elbow grease seems to have done the trick

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
I'd wondered about this too, as in our bathroom the mirror suffers the same issue - can look spotless - even after using a good glass cleaner, plus I've even tried limescale remover; but soon as it steams up you can see where all the previous water spots that had been left to dry were, it's practically a jackson pollock. It doesn't actually get in the way, it's just an odd phenomena I thought.

Jonzjob

Established Member
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
The hairdrier trick is great for getting all sorts of lables off of all sorts of things, from glass to stick lables on jiffy bags.

If I had been in time I would have suggested acitone to get rid of the marks. Same sort of nice stuff as MEK..

Latest posts