giving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought that I would put this post up and hopefully someone may decide to do what I did.

Just recently I donated my 52nd blood donation. I would recommend to anyone who hasn't done it before to give it a go and those who have lapsed to restart.

I have to travel back to the UK to give but it is worth it as I am a baby blood donor. I have a common group but for some reason my blood is used for premature and 'yet to be born' babies.

I am told 1 donation is enough for 5 baby transfusions. 52 x 5 is eerrrrr umm quite a few.

If you have a permanent facility near you I would use that rather than the over subscribed visiting team.

If one person gives one donation because of this post then I am happy

regards 'Sue'

I was a blood donner Sue, but had to stop because I have to have a blood test every year. When I gave up it was twice a year.

There is no way that I would go back to Blighty only to give blood and the last time I went back was over 4 years ago and that was for my sons wedding.

But I agree that it is a very worth while thing to do and I would love to be able to donate here.

I was never totally impressed with the tea though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sue

I am also a blood donor and have been for several years now as is my wife and daughters, my daughters and I are O RH Neg (which is very special) the wife is something more common (blood group that is). My wife and I try to donate together to see who is first to finish which gives the nurse's a laugh.

I must admit I do it for all the wrong reason's, its not to help other unfortunate people its for THE BOURBONS AND TEA, after i've given.

Stew :lol: :lol: :lol:

good for you

I gave once and nearly threw up and passed out so haven't tried since

it was twenty years ago and thought i'd ought to try again when I had to have a blood test requiring a small syringe of blood - same result. I am obviously a bit of a lightweight in this respect

some people are not built to give blood

besides i've not used the first pint I gave yet!

Cheers

Just made an appointment to attend tonight's session at the local Donor Centre and give a pint. Been meaning to do it for ages, so for once decided to start from the bottom of my list of things to do.

Will post up later on this evening, how things went.

Dibs

Stoaty boy

My wife couldn't donate for years due to low iron.

Nothing was done until she came to France and the doc sorted all that out and now she feels 10x better, so if you have low iron go give the docs some grief. Get it sorted and feel great.

'Sue'

I have just received my award for 75 pints (a little more than an arm full, Tony Handcock). A wonderful lunch at a local Hotel and a cut glass salver. I am still attending 3 time a year and hopr to reach 100.
John

Went swimmingly. Turned up at 18:15 and done for 19:00. Strange thing was that the folk there would rather you donate platelets rather than whole blood. Don't know why - suppose will Google it at some point.

Dibs

Good on yer all.
I donate with my brother and we race too, like Stew and Mrs Stew - best is 1 min 42 (Him, not me, the b'strd! - I'll get him next time)
Cheers,
Greg

Jonzjob":28pqm37g said:
Don't worry mate it is not all in 'vain'

picard-facepalm.jpg

I had a whole load of blood donated to me after a motorbike accident*, saved my bacon literally, I think I had about 8 pints.
Sadly I have tried to return the favour, not in the last couple of years mind, and been told they dont want it back.
Giving up a bit of juice to save a life is a wonderful gift.
Keep it up.
Many thanks.

Chunko',
*caused by a red light jumper who had been drinking.

I did it for years whilst wearing green, then I moved to Holland, gave a couple there, and now donate in Germany - got a silver medal for my 6th pint, nosh is decent, coffee too. But no Guiness !!!used to love that when I gave the red stuff in exchange for some of the black stuff. LOL :)

k

Jonzjob":2kabbwvr said:
Oh! Now come on Dibsey-baby. You gota get a bit more inventive man?

You can't keep goin on usin de same awd reponses man. it make me blood boil!

accident-t55911.html

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

What's that old saying?

If it's not broke, don't fix it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dibs-h":3sfimkz2 said:
Went swimmingly. Turned up at 18:15 and done for 19:00. Strange thing was that the folk there would rather you donate platelets rather than whole blood. Don't know why - suppose will Google it at some point.

Dibs
I asked if it were possible to donate platelets instead of blood because apparently they need the platelets for those unfortunate people who are on chemotherapy, I think its only blood group O RH NEG that can do this, and you have to donate at a Blood Transfusion Centre or atleast you did when I asked.

I was bittererly disappointed when they said, after some more tests, that I couldn't donate platelets, my father died of lung cancer nearly 30 years ago, I would have been very pleased to think I was helping someone who was suffering what he did.

At my last donation I was told by the nurse that people giving blood has dropped in our area, so all you fellow members an the north east GET OUT THERE AND GIVE

Stew

I did once, passed out and woke up on a camp bed. Wimp extraordinaire. I don't like needles. It's no excuse.
While we are on this subject, can I put my 10p in? If you want to register to donate organs when you no longer need them, then some people might well be quite grateful. I have two working eyes because of the generosity of two people, one in 1993 and one in 2002. I can see normally when I'm wearing my contact lenses. I'd be blind or dead by now if I hadn't had the ops. I'm just lucky to have been born in a developed country in the latter half of the 20th century. There are plenty of people in less developed parts of the world who are not so lucky.

Please fill in the form today. You never know, the recipient may even be a woody :)

S

My next appointment is on Boxing day.

It's surprising how many look with horror when they are asked to donate over the Xmas period. I reckon that if the staff can turn out, then so can I.

The other odd thing about donating blood is that if for some reason they can't take it, you feel real disappointment and failure.

Back