Giving up Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
This will be my last year of making bandsaw boxes. It has been great fun and the vast amount of quality equipment I have will be sold off as I feel that at 81, its a bit harder each time.

I still have a few boxes half made and some very nice timber to add to that, but will sell up this year whilst the equipment is still good and will benefit others. I will even show others how to make the boxes and help with equipment knowledge if needed. I have so many 'extras' that have been added to my equipment to help with the box designs, but as I have not been inclined to keep producing this last year, or since the Pandemic so its time to pass it on to others.

If any previous buyers from the Etsy site would like a 'special' built before I stop, then please e-mail me at [email protected] and I would be pleased to hear from you. Otherwise, watch this space for when I start actually advertising the whole list of workshop tools as I will try and give UKWorkshop members first choice.
Thank you all.

Sorry to hear the Alex, I do hope that even once you stop being an active producer you hang around and contribute your knowledge and experience to the members here. I know how you fell as due to events, i have only been in my wksp 4 times since 2019, though i do still feel that once I am mended that I will be able to continue albeit with a much more machine based production process compared to the past. Fantastic that you are looking to offer members the chance to aqquire your tools once you do stop and at least you know they will be to people who will appreciate and use them. All the best

Thanks for that.
Since I retired at age 70, my hobbies have been photography, Archery and woodworking. Each time I equiped myself with a high standard of equipment to the extent that if I thought it would help, I bough it. With the photography, I concentrated on studio work and with camera, tripods, stands and lighting it cost about £3k but managed to sell it all to someone just starting out to do the same thing. Similarly with Archery and buying really good Bow, arrows, targets to set up at home and all the extra goodies like telescopes, monocular and other equipment, it all went in one sale to a retired guy wasnting to do just that. He was delighted to find all the 'right gear' in one go.

I think it's probably too much to ask for this to happen again with bandsaw BS400 with extras, a good Scrollsaw, planes, sanders, routers and other equipment, not to mention all the timber stocked up, but who knows. Only time will tell. In any event, I will have another good go at a few more boxes and then set to and move on to something less energetic and more holidays before that Big Wooden Box calls!

Really sorry to hear that you'll be giving up soon Alexam. Agree completely with Doogs above - I can understand the decision (I'm not all that far behind you age-wise!) - but hope you'll stay around on here now and again. I for one have always appreciated your posts here.

All the best mate.

As said above, why not give turning a go, no real physical effort required unless you want to make big stuff, you could easily use the proceeds of selling you box making gear to obtain a decent 2ndhand lathe and equipment, as I approach 40 I can only hope to still be able to enjoy my hobbies when I grow up.

As said above, why not give turning a go, no real physical effort required unless you want to make big stuff, you could easily use the proceeds of selling you box making gear to obtain a decent 2ndhand lathe and equipment, as I approach 40 I can only hope to still be able to enjoy my hobbies when I grow up.
Dosent sound like you or I will ever grow up!🤣🤣🤣

move on to something less energetic and more holidays before that Big Wooden Box calls!
It's always sad to hear of something like this, but it sounds like you have given it a great deal of thought. At 70, I'm not all that far behind you. If I have another 11 years at it, I'll be delighted. I might even find my cast iron thicknesser before I give up messing about with wood. I think your last sentence should be a suggestion for the final box you make :) Holidays...there are some amazingly good prices around just now, so get some sunshine and relax.

I did start trying Intasia and bought a few books, looked at videos and tried, but it was not up to my standard, particularly when there are so many fantastic Intasia workers out there. Better to have reached a good standard with my boxes and I'm pleased with what I have learned over the years. Anyway, next year I may have thought of yet another hobby to take me into my 90's. Amateur Radio was also very interesting to have progressed from '1-4 for a copy' to my G4 call sign, Its a pity that Amateur Cinematography died with video cameras as Super 8 was getting as good as 16mm, but most clubs have shut up shop.

Last edited:
The time has come now and I will now start checking prices of equipment to sell mine off as I doubt I will do any more now as other more pressing matters have popped up.

Really sorry to hear that Alexam. But "time moves on" and all that (I'm facing a similar decision myself for the near future and STILL haven't even made a proper list of all my "stuff", never mind priced it)! Wishing you well in your new radio "career.

Wishing you all the best in what you choose to do Alex and my first post still stands re members here appreciating your kit and you staying around to help those starting out.

Hi Malcolm,
Della and I were just thinking about you the other night, we still have the lovely box you made for us.
Sorry to hear you are winding down but it has to be a few years since we met up so there must be many boxes out there with your name on them.
Obviously if you are selling up then your son isn’t carrying on but at least he’ll have the skills for the future.
All the best for the future.
Glynne

Bit too late for more machinery just now.
If turning is floating your boat then you could always look at swapping machinery rather than selling and trading knowledge so you pick up turning and they make boxes, it is never to late to learn.

I have the BS400 and it is a great saw so I would not imagine you having problems finding a new home for it, well please share any knowledge you can pass on and all the best for the future in whatever direction you choose to take.

Back