Give us a break!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodhutt

Established Member
Reaction score
As if Covid19 wasn't enough we've just been hit by a 5.9 mag. earthquake a few minutes before 8.00 am this morning. It gave the house a good shake and rattled the china (and also SWMBO who hates them).
If Him upstairs reads this - and I'm sure he's a regular to the Forum - I'd just like to say enough is enough!
Rant over.
Pete

woodhutt":33dbqqdd said:
As if Covid19 wasn't enough we've just been hit by a 5.9 mag. earthquake a few minutes before 8.00 am this morning. It gave the house a good shake and rattled the china (and also SWMBO who hates them).
If Him upstairs reads this - and I'm sure he's a regular to the Forum - I'd just like to say enough is enough!
Rant over.
Pete
I like to think that the more earthquakes you have, the less likely you are to have a really big one. Always good to relieve the pressure on a regular basis, as it were.

I don't mind the long, drawn out rumble, but I hate the sudden, explosive bang! 5.9 really does concentrate the thinking, though - that's quite a bump.

(treading carefully to avoid the traditional Kiss Of Death) :shock: ...
Cyprus is a designated earthquake zone. My house is built on a 2 ft thick rebarred concrete raft, so that in a worst case scenario, the house will shift and eventually settle back on its original place.
I've been here 12 years this august, and (wait for it) have so far not experienced a single shake.
Back in Somerset about 15 years ago I experienced my first ever quake. I was sitting in an upstairs office and thought that a giant articulated lorry had driven up the dead end close I lived in. I heard it, I felt it. But my wife downstairs was oblivious.

I'm not claiming any superpowers but I actually knew the quake was coming before it hit.
I was in the kitchen when my ears felt blocked and I suddenly felt dizzy and had to grab hold of the counter top, There was also a slight feeling of nausea. The gin from the night before flitted through my mind but then I heard the truck coming followed quickly by the shake.
I can only assume this was the result of a change in air pressure with the wave preceding the actual earth tremors.
Pete

woodhutt":g19e6jus said:
I'm not claiming any superpowers but I actually knew the quake was coming before it hit.
I was in the kitchen when my ears felt blocked and I suddenly felt dizzy and had to grab hold of the counter top, There was also a slight feeling of nausea. The gin from the night before flitted through my mind but then I heard the truck coming followed quickly by the shake.
I can only assume this was the result of a change in air pressure with the wave preceding the actual earth tremors.
Pete

There's a film, Phenomenon (John Travolta) who plays a person with certain "gifts" - I won't give away any spoilers, but in that film he feels what he too thinks is the pressure wave of an earthquake, dizziness & nausea. In the film the time between the wave and the quake is many hours, but I think it's absolutely possible that some people can be susceptable to it.

It's a very good film I think, if you get a chance to see it.

Earthquakes in Greece in the last 48 hours: http://www.geophysics.geol.uoa.gr/stati ... recent.htm

There are 95 separate events in the list, but they are all tiny - except the 4.9 in the sea off Crete. It is a constant, steady stream of little ones, which is just how we like it. The big ones are far and few between, thankfully.

Unfortunately I live almost exactly equidistant between the currently quiet supervolcanos of Santorini and Naples (not Vesuvius, the Phlegraean_Fields). If one goes bang, they both do, and the tsunamis will meet in the middle, at my house. Should be an interesting day. Allegedly there have been at least two tsunami events in "recent" history in the area (last 10,000 years), so a third is probably out of the question. Almost certainly.

Yesterday's quake was followed by 45 'aftershocks' most around magnitude 3 but one of 4.4. (Mummy. When does an earthquake cease to be an earthquake and become an aftershock?)
Interesting the mention of tsunamis. In the residential areas surrounding Wellington Harbour which are mostly on hillsides, there are blue lines painted across the roads to indicate the potential height of water following a tsunami but what data this is based on is a mystery to me. I must investigate.
Pete

Worldleaders. Take a note from Jacinda Ardern. Trooper.
Tell you what. I never get involved in political threads on here because its like playing chess with pigeons. Blindfold. I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of New Zealand politics but God bless ya kiwis.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asi ... on-live-tv

Goodluck Woodhutt.

Bm101":wfkcdzl2 said:
Tell you what. I never get involved in political threads on here because its like playing chess with pigeons. Blindfold. I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of New Zealand politics but God bless ya kiwis.

Goodluck Woodhutt.

Thanks Bm101. We are rather proud of her but she's not for sale or hire. :lol:
Pete

woodhutt":1dpzvvn8 said:
Bm101":1dpzvvn8 said:

Goodluck Woodhutt.

Thanks Bm101. We are rather proud of her but she's not for sale or hire. :lol:
Pete

Damn..we're stuck with BoJo :(

woodhutt":1e5ni7l3 said:
...No problems for us. We are more than 200 m above sea level and about 30 km inland...
Technically, if you count the harbour, you're only 22km inland...

We're less than a km (as the crow flies) from the harbour, but about 60m up. I'm waiting for global warming to reduce the distance to the beach. (hammer)

And we had another quake today. 5.2 this time. I didn't feel it. I felt yesterday's one though. It woke me up and nearly threw me out of bed. :shock:

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":10w6zhlo said:
woodhutt":10w6zhlo said:
...No problems for us. We are more than 200 m above sea level and about 30 km inland...
Technically, if you count the harbour, you're only 22km inland...

We're less than a km (as the crow flies) from the harbour, but about 60m up. I'm waiting for global warming to reduce the distance to the beach. (hammer)

And we had another quake today. 5.2 this time. I didn't feel it. I felt yesterday's one though. It woke me up and nearly threw me out of bed. :shock:

Cheers, Vann.

Won't quibble over the 8 km Vann. I'm just happy with the 200 metres :)
I'm trying to think whereabouts in Petone you could get to be 60m above sea level. :?
No, didn't feel the 5.2. The only thing that woke me up and threw me out of bed was SWMBO wanting her morning cup of tea. :lol:
Cheers, Pete

>I'm trying to think whereabouts in Petone you could get to be 60m above sea level.

[edit] Western Hills? [/edit; helps to remember which was is North!]

My parents are in Lower Hutt. Not far from the river and certainly not many metres above sea level. I didn't hear that they had to take another unplanned drive up the Wainui hill, so I assume there wasn't a tsunami alert?

samhay":1plbcs72 said:
>I'm trying to think whereabouts in Petone you could get to be 60m above sea level.

[edit] Western Hills? [/edit; helps to remember which was is North!]

My parents are in Lower Hutt. Not far from the river and certainly not many metres above sea level. I didn't hear that they had to take another unplanned drive up the Wainui hill, so I assume there wasn't a tsunami alert?

Aah yes! I forgot the Western Hills, Korokoro, Normandale etc. Are they classed as Petone?
Anyway, I don't think there was a tsunami alert. The epicentre of the quake was put at 30 km north of Levin, not offshore.
Cheers,
Pete

woodhutt":t6dwsvk9 said:
...I'm trying to think whereabouts in Petone you could get to be 60m above sea level...
Yes Western Hills. Half way up Korokoro to be specific.

My parents are in Lower Hutt. Not far from the river and certainly not many metres above sea level. I didn't hear that they had to take another unplanned drive up the Wainui hill, so I assume there wasn't a tsunami alert?[/quote]

woodhutt":t6dwsvk9 said:
...Aah yes! I forgot the Western Hills, Korokoro, Normandale etc. Are they classed as Petone?...
Korokoro was a suburb of Petone in the days of the Petone Borough Council. Technically, since amalgamation, it's now a suburb of Lower Hutt. the next suburb along the Western Hills - Maungaraki - was alway part of Lower Hutt.

My wife says there was no tsunami alert.

And as for those blue lines painted on roads - they're just there to remind us of the possibility of flooding in a tsunami. They're hardly accurate - and they could only be for one set size of tsunami anyway. You'd need multiple lines: one for a 5m wave, another for a 10m wave, etc.

Cheers, Vann (who's awaiting today's scheduled shake :wink: )

Back