Give me some ideas please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just getting back into woodworking purely as a hobby after many years doing my other hobby which was shooting (pre charged air rifles) and which I've now sold. With the proceeds I've bought myself a new Record BS 300 bandsaw.

I'm a young lad coming 85 in a few weeks but still very active with an empty, well insulated, garage to use as a workshop. Many years ago my son gave me about 16 lengths of 70 X 70mm prepared timber which is 113cm long. It's been stored in the garage since then which I've kept dry with a De Humidifier. I'm not particularly good at identifying wood types but I would describe as a hard type soft wood (that doesn't make sense does it).

I took your advice on blades and contacted Ian at Tuff Saws who adviced 3 of his blades which would pretty much cover most things I wanted to do. My woodworking in the past as mainly been with hand tools plus a good quality De Walt radial arm saw which my son now as.

So good experienced friends I would really appreciate any advice and ideas on what I could do as a starting point with this wood and what I could go on to maybe, thanks.

gee whizz, getting back into woodwork at 85! @Alexam is just giving up at 81. If I give it up at 81, or keep going until I'm 85, I'll be delighted either way.
Make something for your son, perhaps a table if the wood is suitable?

Good for you Sapper, you should do well with the BS350. I have had the BS400 from new and with the wheels, it's easy to move around and put back out the way for the car to fit in. We have a double garage and the best thing I have ever bought id the De-Humidifier. It has been plugged in since I bought it years ago and keeps the garage free from damp even with wet cars being parked sometimes, although I tend to leave one car out if its wet. Without my car, the tools would be out and it would be easier to keep woodworking, but thats just the way I like to work.

Not sure if you are anywhere near my location B47 5QZ, near the M42 junction 3 and if so, you could come over
and I may be able to help you with some ideas and demos with the bandsaw. if you wish, just e-mail me if you do. I can show you how to make bandsaw boxes!

Good for you Sapper, you should do well with the BS350. I have had the BS400 from new and with the wheels, it's easy to move around and put back out the way for the car to fit in. We have a double garage and the best thing I have ever bought id the De-Humidifier. It has been plugged in since I bought it years ago and keeps the garage free from damp even with wet cars being parked sometimes, although I tend to leave one car out if its wet. Without my car, the tools would be out and it would be easier to keep woodworking, but thats just the way I like to work.

Not sure if you are anywhere near my location B47 5QZ, near the M42 junction 3 and if so, you could come over
and I may be able to help you with some ideas and demos with the bandsaw. if you wish, just e-mail me if you do. I can show you how to make bandsaw boxes!
Hi Alex,
That would be brilliant mate, unfortunately we live in lincolnshire but what a great idea about the boxes!

I've often heard them spoke of but have no idea how to go about it, perhaps I might be able to find something on line.

I did order the wheel set with the saw but although the saw is being delivered next week the wheels won't be until late March or early April but I'm sure I'll manage somehow. I've only got a single garage which I also keep our 7' 5' box trailer which we tow behind our campervan when we go camping, but it'll be easy to pull that in and out. Hence the boxes being a good idea because it wouldn't take too much room up to make them

Thanks.

Back