Gillette razors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
My Gillette Mach 3 Power razor has packed up. Yes I know I can continue to use it without the Power, but it has been the best shave I've ever had and has lasted 8 or 9 years, so it doesn't owe me anything.

Now whilst getting blades for it isn't a problem, the shops don't seem to sell the actual razor any more. It appears to have been superseded by the Fusion model. I can get both online, and the newer model is cheaper than the old. However, I have a stock of razor blades for the Turbo model, so my q is:
If I buy the new Fusion model, can I use up my Mach 3 blades with it? Is the fitting the same?

Cheers
Steve

Now, without knowledge of either razor, and not knowing the price, would it not be sensible to just go ahead and buy the newer model?
If the old blades fit, then there's no problem.
If the old blades dont fit, then you now have a working razor and a spare if you ever need it.

I use a trusty 'leccy razor myself.

Adam S

Steve Maskery":2uaqwn39 said:
If I buy the new Fusion model, can I use up my Mach 3 blades with it? Is the fitting the same?
No, the Fusion and Mach 3 have different fittings - not sure where the 'Turbo' model fits into things?? If it's any help I have a barely-used Mach 3 Power (that's the one with the battery in the handle, yes?) knocking around - I never really liked it and much prefer the Fusion series, so you're welcome to it if you want it.

Incidentally, since we're talking shaving here, I've been using the Razor Pit for the last six months or so, and it massively extends the life of your blades. Well worth it!

Cheers, Pete.

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.
Peter, I'll take you up on that, please.
I'd go for the Fusion if it were not for the fact that the blades themselves are even more expensive.

On a related note, I've looked into the possibility of shipping blades in from China and setting up shop. I have discovered that they come in different grades - AAA, AA and plain old A grade. I suspect that many of the cheap ones on eBay are A grade, despite being "100% genuine".

I read somewhere that thee things cost approx 5 cents per blade to make. Now that's what I call a margin.

Thanks all,
Steve

Steve Maskery":36uvifgw said:
I read somewhere that thee things cost approx 5 cents per blade to make. Now that's what I call a margin.

It's not just the manufacturing costs, though, is it? You've got to pay for Gillette's huge R&D budget. There's a team of highly-paid engineers somewhere feverishly trying to work out how to fit that ninth blade onto the razor head!

Both my Mach 3 and Fusion models no longer vibrate - i think I left the batteries in too long and they leaked?

To be honest I don't find the power mode to make a lot of difference?

Gillette have also brought out a new model the "Fusion Proglide Power Razor"!

A couple of years ago I bought a stack of Fusion razors when the big stores were selling them cheap with a few blades. as an inducement.
They worked out at about half the price of the replacement blades on their own - I chucked the handles away.
Still have not used them all :) .

Rod

Steve Maskery":23pkjsbk said:
Peter, I'll take you up on that, please.
No problem - PM me your address and I'll chuck it in the post.

I'd go for the Fusion if it were not for the fact that the blades themselves are even more expensive.
The head's noticeably bigger as well (have to squeeze those five blades in somewhere I guess) - I prefer it, but they are pricey, which is where the Razor Pit comes into its own. Just FYI I'm getting 7-8 weeks worth of shaving from a blade, whereas previously I was changing them every week. Paid for itself very quickly... ;)

Cheers, Pete

Hi,

I get about 30 years out of a blade. and more time in the morning.

Pete

I tried wearing a beard once but it irritated me so much I cut it off. I use a very old Phillishave but it is not a close shave. When I want a close one I use SWMBO's razors :lol:

I have had my beard since 1973 and got it a year before I left the R.A.F. It was quite fun being the only hairy one in the Sergeants mess of 1500 members!!

When I was out in Singapore I was talking to a Marine, well someone had to sometimes, and he was telling me that he did a series of stints up in Malaya over several months. He used a WilkSword razor then. He was so chuffed with it that he wrote to WilkSword to tell them that he had got a good 3 months out of one of their blades and he had recommended them to all of his mates. A few weeks later he got a reply saying how pleased they were and would he accept another 3 months supply. They sent him 1 (one) blade!.

I learned that he did this sort of thing quite often and got all sorts of goodies, but this time he had to smile :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

petermillard":288uz9dz said:
Dibs-h":288uz9dz said:
petermillard":288uz9dz said:
Incidentally, since we're talking shaving here, I've been using the Razor Pit for the last six months or so, and it massively extends the life of your blades. Well worth it!

Cheers, Pete.

Worth getting one?
Yes, definitely, IMHO.

Hmmm, I chucked mine recently, big black ugly thing that was taking up too much room in the bathroom cabinet !

It did have some effect but no where as good as a fresh blade, for my tough stubble anyway :) I get a week from a blade so not too bad anyway I guess.

Last week I tried a new fusion proglide, after years of mach III's, and despite wanting to not like it, it does give a better shave still and despite the extortionate prices I think I'm a convert !

Cheers, Paul

paulm":2iyopdhe said:
It did have some effect but no where as good as a fresh blade, for my tough stubble anyway :) I get a week from a blade so not too bad anyway I guess...
That's odd - as I said further up the thread I was also getting through a blade a week, now it lasts 7-8 weeks using the razor pit. Actually, it's the little rubber 'pre-tensioning' strips that seem to wear away first, the blades are still pretty good after that time...

Cheers, Pete

Unquestionably IMHO, the best thing since sliced bread for a really good, clean, pleasant shave is very soft water. If you're in hard water area, get yourself a water softener and then feel the difference. I've just installed my second Kinetico, the first one having lasted over 20 years. As far as I can see, it doesn't really matter what sort of razor you use (Wilkinson here) it's the water that makes the difference - Rob

Latest posts

Back