Gift of a walnut tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainee neophyte

Established Member
Reaction score
I put the word out a few days ago to friends and neighbours regarding any decent sized lumps of wood that might be free to a good home, as it were. Now I have my new bandsaw, I am eager to start collecting hardwood, because my three grades of available stock at the woodshop are pine, scaffold board pine, or concrete shuttering pine.

So, I have my own olive wood, and I have put a reasonable amount aside for playing with. My neighbour cut down (actually knocked over with a digger) an ancient, rotten olive tree, and gave me the lion's share of the usable bits, which was great. Then today I get a telephone call: would I like a walnut tree? Come and knock it over tomorrow, and it's yours. It's spoiling the view, apparently.

What I don't know is how small is too small to bother with? It's not the biggest walnut tree in the world; the trunk is about 18" across, perhaps a little less, and splits into three good-sized branches at about 2 metres up, so that is 4 excellent productive logs before we start. However, I have never used walnut in a woodworking capacity, so I don't know if there will be anything usable in smaller branches. Having seen conversations about sapwood being unusable, how small do we go before it is all sapwood? I don't want to fill the truck up unnecessarily.

How big/small I rip it to is another conversation - I want it dry NOW so I can use it, but I may have a need for 4" thick beams (no idea what for yet, but too late if I've already sliced them thin), but I will have to wait several years for it to dry. Some of both? What an awful conundrum! (That might be word of the day - sorry).

If anyone has any thoughts other than "You lucky fellow!", I would be most grateful.

I will attempt some photos tomorrow, just for fun, but it's hard to hold a chainsaw and a camera at the same time, as I have already discovered.

Trainee neophyte":4ivzkt0w said:
If anyone has any thoughts other than "You lucky fellow!", I would be most grateful.

You Lucky Nut!

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

Trainee neophyte":1azpmzqr said:
.........the trunk is about 18" across, perhaps a little less, and splits into three good-sized branches at about 2 metres up, so that is 4 excellent productive logs......

The branches aren't a lot of use, unless you are into turning. They are full of stress, having fought gravity for decades, and will spring into some highly unlikely shapes as soon as you plank them.

MikeG.":r7y4z0ec said:
The branches aren't a lot of use, unless you are into turning. They are full of stress, having fought gravity for decades, and will spring into some highly unlikely shapes as soon as you plank them.

Ahh, then easy decision to make. I may bring some home anyway, because you can't have too much firewood. Can you? At least it means the work will go faster. There may be three walnut trees, not one, but I didn't want to appear to greedy. And a small tangerine tree, too. It's quite good where I live. Thank you for your assistance.

Get as much walnut as you can. I have successfully used large walnut branches in the past. Mike is dead right in planked form it is unpredictable, but dry it carefully and use in short lengths for boxes, drawer linings etc and you may be surprised how much usable wood you get. Little to lose so take the risk.

John Brown":1o68r5k0 said:
A woman, a dog and a walnut tree,
the more you beat them the better they be.
Although penned by somebody smarter than me,
It's ungrammatical and non PC.

I have translated that for several of our neighbours, who were all suitably amused. Thank you for reminding me- I had better mention it again today, just to see laddie's young wife's reaction. She looks to be a bit feisty (i.e. Greek) so it could be entertaining.

First installment - probably another two loads like this to come, along with some smaller stuff that may or may not be firewood.
IMG-20200219-WA0004.jpg

I think I need a bigger bandsaw...

Attachments

• IMG-20200219-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20200219-WA0004.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 163
MikeG.":2nesx0ci said:
Trainee neophyte":2nesx0ci said:
.........the trunk is about 18" across, perhaps a little less, and splits into three good-sized branches at about 2 metres up, so that is 4 excellent productive logs......

Branches are OK for turning, but the main trunk is really too small to get anything worthwhile out of for projects etc. Once all the sap has been cut off and burnt, the brown usable heartwood is liable to be fairly narrow - Rob

Was he Greek this fella who gave you the wood?
Just asking. No reason in particular. :|

woodbloke66":26ylzm3p said:
MikeG.":26ylzm3p said:
Trainee neophyte":26ylzm3p said:

Branches are OK for turning, but the main trunk is really too small to get anything worthwhile out of for projects etc. Once all the sap has been cut off and burnt, the brown usable heartwood is liable to be fairly narrow - Rob

That was going to be my next question: the sap wood is all the pale outer wood, I take it? About half, yes? It's going to be a fair amount of work, for not a huge return, but who counts their time when working? That way lies madness! Besides, I can always use the sap wood to practice on, or just light the fire with. Do you really, really HAVE TO throw it away? Such a waste!

I am waiting for dust extraction to arrive before getting stuck in to this lot, so I have a few days respite, anyway. I also have a huge pile of olive wood for slicing , which is getting bigger by the day (again, helpful neighbours). It's all getting a bit much. #-o

Bm101":yfrh0g2r said:
Was he Greek this fella who gave you the wood?
Just asking. No reason in particular. :|

Very Greek. I'm doing him a favour by removing trees which are annoying him, and because I'm not paying for the wood, I'm doing a good job, clearing up and making good, and they were tricky to bring down because of fences and power lines etc. I won't know if it is worth the effort until all the wood is cut and dried, and I have made my first walnut ring box, assuming I have enough wood for a veneer. This is my first foray into the world of free wood , so I'm bound to make some mistakes. Once people hear that I will remove trees for free, it could get completely out of hand.

Trainee neophyte":1ukan2mo said:
[

That was going to be my next question: the sap wood is all the pale outer wood, I take it? About half, yes? It's going to be a fair amount of work, for not a huge return, but who counts their time when working? That way lies madness! Besides, I can always use the sap wood to practice on, or just light the fire with. Do you really, really HAVE TO throw it away? Such a waste!
The wet sap is the pale outer wood (almost cream coloured) which is considered a gourmet banquet for all your local wood boring insects; I immediately saw off all the sap and dispose accordingly. It seems a waste, but 'ruthless' is the name of the game...get rid of it; you should really only be interested in the brown heartwood - Rob

woodbloke66":3udt7bxj said:
Trainee neophyte":3udt7bxj said:
[

The wet sap is the pale outer wood (almost cream coloured) which is considered a gourmet banquet for all your local wood boring insects; I immediately saw off all the sap and dispose accordingly. It seems a waste, but 'ruthless' is the name of the game...get rid of it; you should really only be interested in the brown heartwood - Rob

We have wood boring beasties the size of your thumb. You can actually hear them munching and crunching, and see the flood of sawdust pouring from the quarter inch holes in the wood. I will take your advice on board (pardon the pun) and be ruthless.

Back