Getting the screws in a hinge centred easily

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I know there are spring-loaded drills you can buy to do this, but I didn’t have one and it suddenly occurred to me that I could use a countersink bit to mark where the centre is prior to drilling the pilot hole. Yes it does mark the hinge slightly but that is covered by the screw head, and even if the countersink doesn’t start in the centre it is by the time the countersink reaches the bottom of the hole in the hinge. I have done a few like this now and it works every time. The dimple created is just the right size to put your drill in. Ian S
C14930F7-9D50-4EDD-954E-1F617A601B18.jpeg

Yes, I've posted that before. It also cleans up any irregularities in the machining of the countersunk hole, allowing the screw to seat a bit better and deeper. Many hinges keep the heads of the screws too near to being flush for my liking.

Sorry Phil I should’ve checked, and you’re right about the holes in the hinges. At least this time the screws that came with the hinges were really good quality, stainless, the right size and slot headed.

Back