getting started

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mck

Reaction score
hi all,just joined and bought myself a myford mL8 today,its missing a few bits but only realy the locking bars for the tail and the rest assembly.im a complete beguinner and hopefully get some help here just to get started,thanks in advance :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum Mick,

We've all started from nothing so don't be afraid to ask questions.

if you can get used to posting (attaching) pictures of your setup or relating to any queries it helps pitch any answers at the correct relevance.

thanks Lads,the lathe itself looks to be in good shape,as soon as I get it together I'll try post some pics

Welcome i have found this website to be very helpful i must admit i do not post much myself but hope to get more involved in the new year

Welcome MCK, the only dumb question is the one that you didn't ask.............ask away and the guys on here are always ready to help/advise.

Also a local group/club is a great way to learn face to face and hands on is always the best way. Living over here I had to use sites like this great one and DVD.s it isn't easy on your own.

Leo 8)

Hi MCK

I have an ML8 as my first lathe and It seems fine.

If it is just the steel rods with the knobs on the end you need then they would be easily made by an engineer but there are lots of ML8 bits on fleabay at the moment (looks like somone is breaking one up) so yu might get one there. Also MYFORD are still in existance and have a website.

Have fun :)

Welcome mck.

This is a fantastic forum where people are really generous with their advice and comments.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have

Regards,

mikec

Howdy mck and welcome to the money pit hobby. lol
I too hav a Myford ML8, which appears to be pretty much as it should be. As said, Myford are still around, and seem to be happy to provide info when asked.
There's some info here. Make sure it's well bolted down, uneven stock can vibrate a fair bit.

Sadly, Myford are NOT still around. They went to the wall (well, into administration) a couple of months ago. All the stock was sold off, much of it bought by RDG tools who also bought the rights to the Myford name. They are supposed to be setting up manufacturing of Myford kit in the near future, though where it will be made isn't yet clear. They also apparently tried to stop anyone else selling any Myford-branded items, but I think that has been quashed.
However, they will probably be concentrating on the Myford engineering kit, not woodworking, so we woody Myford users are probably on our own from now on.

If it is just the steel rods with the knobs on the end you need then they would be easily made

thanks all , i can make the above meself,but its the arched piece that sits inside the inner tube that might be hard to locate,if I dont get one soon I'll try make something do.thanks again all

Latest posts

Back