Getting started with segmented woodturning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm interested in starting segmented wood turning making bowls and vases, etc.
But... having watched YouTube, it seems that drumsanders are "essential" to flatten the segmented layers/rings once glued together. Then the layers or rings seem to be glued together to form the piece in a batch - and then turned.

The other option seems to be, once a ring is glued to the base block (which is attached to the chuck), to face off one side as true as possible on the chuck, then using a straight block with sand paper to sand true.

Are these the only options to perform segmented wood turning?
Should I invest in a drum sander? And if so, any advice?

Thanks,
Lamb

You can get by without a drum sander, you could use a 12" disk sander, or make a disk to mount on your lathe.
Drum sanders or not cheap, so I would postpone one till you realy get into it.
I've manage a few segmented pieces without the need for Drum sander.
They would be great to have if you do loads of segmented, dizzy bowls or multiple laminations, but not necessary to get you going.

I don't have a drum sander either:)
CIMG1661 (2).JPG
CIMG1686.JPG

I attached some thick wood to a faceplate (my wood is 30mm - just two pieces of chipboard from some cheap furniture glued together), turned a 300mm diameter disk, then attached a self-adhesive abrasive disc. I've done loads of segmented with it. I also made a sanding table which can be attached to the lathe bed. As you can see, it gets a lot of use !

Attachments

• 20210822_124116.jpg
    20210822_124116.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210822_124056.jpg
    20210822_124056.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 24
Its a challenging art form ! Accuracy is paramount starting with a good mitre saw and a 60 tooth blade if possible - its more accurate than sanding endgrain on the disc sander. You are aiming to produce two semicircular rings initially with as little deviation as possible. I find that using a mitre bond glue on the endgrain segments is better as you don't create a glue line. A scrap of polished granite or plate glass will help with the glue up as the stuff will ooze out of the joints.
No two semicircles will be perfect so you need a disc sander to trim a little off the endgrain of one to get a good fit. In effect you are making a slight oval rather than a circle but of course it will be turned on the lathe.
This is where the pro's use a drum sander to level the bumps in the circle of segments but really you could use a random orbital sander - just be careful not to take too much off.
After that I tend to use Titebond yellow glue as it has a good 'tack' I have some home made presses for the rings but experts like Dennis Keeling use the tailstock of the lathe. His book is well worth a read bty.

Also, for when you want to make a segment sled and your own angle wedges, have a look at this vid

Linus,
I like them pots very much....
just eniugh to be v/classy.....
will have a try when I get set up.....

Sashakin, thanks for the video links.....

Back