Getting started carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppa

Reaction score
After a while spent looking around on the web at all things wood, and having a little play around (mostly with a Stanley knife and a cheapo version of a Dremel I already had), I think I'm ready to get some proper tools.

I've already had a variety of pathways to a fully kitted out workshop, but have very limited funds so they're more wishlists really. Any that involve power tools tend to start with a respirator, safety first and all that. Cost more than I have, but at least with that I can fake-dremel and sand away without messing with the rubbish little elastic things I've got at the minute.

Anyway, I've decided to start with carving first, and move on to bigger stuff later if/when I feel like it and finances permit.
I'd seen Flexcut carving tools a while back when I first had a wander round the web for woodwork related info, and thought they looked really weird and pretty much dismissed them out of hand, but I think they may actually be just what I'm looking for.
One thing I would like to know though is how much they do flex and whether it's a difficult thing to get used to.

I'd like to get a beginners set, so I have a few things to play with rather than just the one. The SK110 I could get straight away, and the DVD may be handy, though I daresay it doesn't show you anything you couldn't find on youtube somewhere (there's a thought, will do that search as soon as I've posted this).
More likely though is that I'll hold off and get the SK108 set as it has what looks to be a good selection of fittings, a knife that will no doubt be a big improvement on knocking into things with the body of my Stanley knife all the time, and the strop thing for sharpening.

Any advice will be gladly received.

there doesn't seem to be an area for new members here, so this I guess is my hello topic. Hello.
Will maybe post pics of my noob efforts when I have enough posts too.

(I guess most here will know of Flexcut anyway, but once allowed I'll come back with links for the two items I mentioned.)

I don't think you need a respirator for 99% of what you would do with power tools, if that helps!

Starting carving (I keep having a go too) I think you need an idea of what you want to do, so you start by looking at carvings, which could be anything from whole tree trunk things , down to tiny netsuke, via lettering, etc etc..
Then have a go, which you are doing by the sounds of it, then buy tools and kit as you need it, rather than in sets.
So as you say your Stanley knife is limiting - get a better knife (or two) e.g Mora knives. So you solve each problem a step at a time. Holding and sharpening are two big problems. But also get basic woodworking chisels and other tools as a matter of course, whenever you get the chance.
That's what I've been doing anyway. Occasional expensive gouges one at a time from Iles, Sorby etc.
And not to forget - you can carve something with anything which has a sharp edge, it doesn't have to be a designated "carving" tool, most of which no individual carver will ever need.

PS I've just had a look at Flexcut (Axminster). They are bloody expensive I wouldn't go near them, least of all a "set"! :shock:
A "set" is just the tool dealers' way of selling you more than you really need.

Toppa":2nkguoh7 said:
Any advice will be gladly received.

there doesn't seem to be an area for new members here, so this I guess is my hello topic. Hello.
Will maybe post pics of my noob efforts when I have enough posts too.

Carving tools are discussed semi-regularly - here's a fairly comprehensive recent thread.

carving-tools-what-you-think-t54497.html

BugBear

Back