getting old

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rannndy

Established Member
Reaction score
WP_20181213_13_41_43_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20181213_13_41_43_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 905
Blimey! A putty knife and a hacking knife - most young folk now wouldn't have a clue what either tool really is or what it's for. I've still got an old putty knife with rosewood handles. A good few years back I picked up a so called putty knife in one of the big sheds and found there was absolutely no flex in the blade.

I can remember trying to use one of the top items.
There are folk out there that cannot handle putty, it goes all soft and sticky.
I am one of those folk, tried all the tricks, dry hands, wet hands, powdered hands, oily hands, nothing works, just end up in a sticky mess.

Bod

I'm what most on here would consider to be a youngster and yet I still have both of those and still use the putty knife fairly regular.

granted it's as a filler knife, but that's by the by.

the hack, less so although I'm going to be reglazing a few old frames in the near future so maybe.

Know about the top one, no idea about the second one. In the 40s bracket age wise. Interesting about being one of those people. For me I’m one of those people whose hands go black when working with oak.

So is there some modern replacement version? What, and why? :lol:

I repainted our front windows a few years ago. The putty is probably mostly original; most of the glass definitely is. I have both tools ready if I need them, but it's lasted over a century already and doesn't need removal or replacement yet, barring any breakages.

Haven't got a hacking knife (I use an old chisel) but do have and use a rosewood-handled putty knife (could it be Hamilton brand)?

The cellar (my workshop) has 2 small-ish metal-framed windows, the air raid shelter (Yes!) has 1, and the garage 2, all with single glazing, all retained by putty.

So the putty knife (and the old chisel) have been used for "proper" purposes (I've broken 2 of the above windows over the years) but I must admit the putty knife is now mainly used as a knife for filler (for which it is very good).

My putty knife has an edge on it that you could carve meat with, along with a lovely flexible blade. It's in a box somewhere and I CAN'T FIND IT :oops: :oops: It too makes a really good filler knife. I have to do a fair bit of fikker (fikker? Wot's that) filler in our new home so I have had to buy a new one and you could just about lift paving slabs with it's a not cheap Harris jobbie.

I too use an old chisel for any hacking although I ain't needed to do a lot of that these daze.

My putty knife still gets used as a putty knife.

I have tried to use a hacking knife a few times but never got on with it, I prefer to use a chisel.

Latest posts

Back