Getting into Woodwork - scared of wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringus

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this will sound silly but, I feel very uncomfortable purchasing any wood I have no idea what I should be paying , prices are always on inquiry.

Does anyone have any resources on what to expect to pay for different wood?

Many thanks

Some internet sources have prices - they are often on the high side, so maybe take those and knock a little off.

Really depends on what you're buying though. Common joinery softwoods should be cheap (look at DIY shed prices and reduce a little).

Larger orders of rough sawn hardwoods are often priced by the cubic foot or cubic metre - typically around £30-40 per cubic foot for non-exotics.

If you're after sawn to size or planed hardwoods these will be around twice the price of the rough sawn stuff.

These are very approximate, and it really depends a lot on what you're buying and where you are though.

As an example of some prices, this place is local to me and has a price list online, they are quite resonable, so look to pay around this for rough stuff: https://www.treestation.co.uk/products/ ... rice-list/

Ringus":2ugwpezt said:
Hi,

I know this will sound silly but, I feel very uncomfortable purchasing any wood I have no idea what I should be paying , prices are always on inquiry.

Does anyone have any resources on what to expect to pay for different wood?

Many thanks
It depends on where you are buying.

Both places I buy from although they do sell private sales, they sell mainly to trade. In both instances the prices for the common stuff is on a board in the yard. One of places has prices on their site. One of the places also prices individual boards, with a printed label on each board. So they aren't always 'on enquiry'.

If you aren't trade, best thing to do is just come clean and say you need help and you are a private buyer. Any decent timber merchant will help. If they won't, don't buy from there.

Use the SL Hardwoods site as a baseline for prices.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

It depends what you want to make, you perhaps need to give some more clues.

If it’s small bits you might even get some donations

best bet is to know what you're making first, draw it out, then from that you have a cutting list, from there you can work out what you need, what size and dimensions.

There's also a timber recycling place somewhere in Oxon that Paul Sellers was enthusing about a while ago - I think this might be the place - not convinced their prices are cheap, but I guess you get a warm feeling that you're giving some timber a second chance....

https://www.oxfordwoodrecycling.org.uk/

Bigger B&Q branches sell waney edged oak boards, at various lengths (for a fixed price per board). Yes, it's an expensive way of buying, but it's convenient and can/may take some of the perceived intimidation/stress out of buying for the newbie, and offers something other than PAR redwood.

I hope this doesn't prompt a raft of "I hate B&Q" responses, as that wasn't my intention - it's simply an alternative source.

disco_monkey79":25emellb said:
Bigger B&Q branches sell waney edged oak boards, at various lengths (for a fixed price per board). Yes, it's an expensive way of buying, but it's convenient and can/may take some of the perceived intimidation/stress out of buying for the newbie, and offers something other than PAR redwood.

I hope this doesn't prompt a raft of "I hate B&Q" responses, as that wasn't my intention - it's simply an alternative source.
I saw them the other day, they looked reasonable from a cursory glance, not cheap, but not outrageous either.

Back