Getting dents out of wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
My pal cut some wood for me, som edents were made in it from things like clamps.

He told me to get rid of them by wetting the wood and then placing an iron over the top, it makes the wood swell.

How much water, just a spray?
Should I put the iron actually on the wood or just hover above?

I've had some luck with this. I wet some small dents with a few drops of water, allowing the drops to soak into the compressed wood and then ironed them out. It took a couple of goes to completely remove the dents. I placed the hot iron directly on the wood.

Cheers

Alan

From the Tefal website:

"Small dents on a wooden surface can be raised by covering them with a damp cloth and placing a hot iron over the area for a couple of seconds. The wood swells and the dents disappear (try on a hidden area first)"

Never tried it myself but I have heard of it before.

Best of luck

Ed

I have done this quite a few times.

I usually add a few drop of water to the area and leave to soak in then repeat and then with a wet corner of a cloth add the iron. It could take a few goes but will depend on how bad the dent it.

Wizer wrote:

erm sounds far fetched to me....

Nope it really does work (most of the time) on small dents. Like Alan has said it does take a few goes but in the end the dent disappears. Don't forget to use a damp cloth.

Regards

Woody

It's normally relatively easy to get small dents out of timber, the only problem comes if the fibres are broken, steaming the wood can make them stick out.

I don't wet the wood, it soaks in and can affect the final finish. I use a white cloth or paper towel, so there is no dye to run out. Wet the cloth and place a corner over the dent. I then use the tip of the iron to release steam in as small an area as possible; sometimes takes a couple of goes.

One little trick along the same lines is to indent a pattern into timber, sand it flat so the pattern has just disappeared then steam the wood. The pattern reappears, raised rather than indented.

Keith

I do this all the time, cos I'm clumsy. Also useful after holding something in the vice, only to find there was a bit of glue ot something twixt jaw and workpiece.

I use a wet tea-towel, wrung out, and a steam iron. It will probably raise the grain, so you may have to sand again, but it is an excellent technique.

Seen it being used in John Makepeace's workshop, so if it's good enough for him.....

Cheers
Steve

I use a damp tea towel and just iron it out. Just make sure its an old one!

Adam

Hi all, as an Antique restorer I have used this tip for years :) .
Just a few things to add.
1/ it is some times better to have a wet cloth than damp as you have less chance to burn.
2/ put the iron on its hottest setting, it will help with raising the grain.
I know its not a new post but it all helps I hope :wink:

It's worked umpteen times for me as well, just remember it isn't instantaneous it can take a little time and a couple of goes with the iron.

Drew

Latest posts

Back