Getting close with a moisture meter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guyforks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I have a Laserline Moisture meter that has 56 different woods stored in it. I also have an I-pad with I.D Wood on it (Excellent little app by the way). This gives details on over 200 different species.
My moisture meter doesn’t however have holly.
So the question is, what would be the best way to get close to the right MC reading using info from the ID Wood app i.e. Could I use a close Jukar hardness.The choices are Junkar Hardness or Specific Gravity.
Thanks
Glynn.

surely you jut need to have an idea of the RH of where it is going and compare it with that. Or does your meter need to know which of the 56 is being tested so that it can give a more accurate result, calibrated against something specific?

Moisture content is moisture content no matter what the type of timber is, the meter will tell you the moisture content of whatever you stick it up against, you could have two pieces of the same type of timber but stored under differing conditions will give different readings.

Andy

Back