Getting better?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been away alot recently but I thought I would post a few pics of the latest bits.
This was a burl from briar root (they make pipes from it?)
Duiker-burl.jpg

Duiker, I particulary like the 'Burl' and the 'Square' you obviously have an eye for unusual bits of wood.

Thanks Chas,

The photo's don't do them justice to be honest. The flash brings out sanding rings that are not visible normally too.

I like to turn unusual pieces but keep the form "simple". It can be a little "hairy" at times but its worth it in the end I feel. I've bought a couple more of the burls since and hope to get them done this weekend. The biggest problem is they are actually a root and stones are not uncommon. Plays havoc with chisels and the grinder is kept busy!

Duiker":5to3tgwm said:
Thanks Chas,

The photo's don't do them justice to be honest. The flash brings out sanding rings that are not visible normally too...snip..

I have had similar results and spend a high percentage of the finishing time sanding with the grain whilst stationary.

Having been particularly frustrated with some turning/sanding rings that would not disappear on one piece (I thought I had 'dragged' the fibres during turning), I investigation further under magnification which showed that they were actually features of the wood, medulla rays perhaps? that no amount of stock removal would clear.

I sent the link of this thread to my wife. She replied just now:

Subject: Correction

MY WIFE HAS BOUGHT ME SOME more burls:))
thank you
xxxx

:lol: :roll:

Back