Getting a Website, etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up trying PageBreeze (the free version). Everything went well with drafting out the front page (although the options were a bit limited) until I tried to publish the page to the web, only to be told that I can only publish using the "Pro" version for which I would have to pay about £30 (more than double my domain and hosting services charges for 2 years!!). I guess that's another bit of free software going in the bin!!

I might try this Weebly thing.

henton49er":3g469im0 said:
I ended up trying PageBreeze (the free version). Everything went well with drafting out the front page (although the options were a bit limited) until I tried to publish the page to the web, only to be told that I can only publish using the "Pro" version for which I would have to pay about £30 (more than double my domain and hosting services charges for 2 years!!). I guess that's another bit of free software going in the bin!!

I might try this Weebly thing.

You should have a local copy of the files you created, the publish option is usually just a built in FTP client to upload directly to your web host and probably classed as a "Pro" feature or enticement to buy the full version. If it DOES save the files in a local folder then you should be able to just FTP them to your webhost - some hosting offers an online file manager to do this, some give you FTP access so you will need to install an FTP client such as Filezilla.

Above is part assumption as I am not familiar with PageBreeze

Louise, thanks for all your advice.

I have just published some draft pages via Weebly. This seemed to go OK. How soon can I expect to see the new pages on the site (at the moment it is still showing the obsolete ones from PageBreeze)?

Regards,

Mike,

Your website can take up to 48 hours to propagate around the web but usually is visible after a few hours. However, Fasthosts should have given you details including an IP address that would allow you to see it live on their servers to check everything is okay.

Post a link so we can have a look.

regards

Brian

henton49er":3ubhc38t said:
Louise, thanks for all your advice.

I have just published some draft pages via Weebly. This seemed to go OK. How soon can I expect to see the new pages on the site (at the moment it is still showing the obsolete ones from PageBreeze)?

Regards,

Have you assigned the domain name to weebly?

Sometimes it takes 48 hours as mentioned, sometimes much less, and often you need to hit F5 to refresh the page a few times to refresh the cache in your browser to see the change

Louise-Paisley":17o1608u said:

Sometimes it takes 48 hours as mentioned, sometimes much less, and often you need to hit F5 to refresh the page a few times to refresh the cache in your browser to see the change

I registered the domain name with 123-reg.co.uk and set the nameservers(?) as requested by my hosting company (Fasthosts). When I publish from Weebly it should be aiming at the ftp.website.co.uk. and I input my ftp username and password as required by Fasthosts. Is there anything else I should be doing? If so, it is not obvious from either Fasthosts or Weebly.

I'm getting too old for this!! - and to think I used to write machine code programs for my old 8086 PC back in the mid 80s !! (mind you, that was when I paid extra to have a 30Mb hard drive as the standard was 20Mb).

Regards,

I was under the impression that weebly websites were hosted on their own servers rather than a website generator which created pages for your own server.. I could be wrong..

what is your website address?

Looking at weebly support, then I do not think you can publish a weebly site to your own host, it will be held on their servers and unless you point your domain to them will have an address like www.yourname.weebly.com

Your options are to upload your pagebreeze pages to your fasthost account, or abandon fasthost and change the domain dns to point to your weebly account

henton49er":imtb2ioo said:
Louise-Paisley":imtb2ioo said:

I registered the domain name with 123-reg.co.uk and set the nameservers(?) as requested by my hosting company (Fasthosts). When I publish from Weebly it should be aiming at the ftp.website.co.uk. and I input my ftp username and password as required by Fasthosts. Is there anything else I should be doing? If so, it is not obvious from either Fasthosts or Weebly.

I'm getting too old for this!! - and to think I used to write machine code programs for my old 8086 PC back in the mid 80s !! (mind you, that was when I paid extra to have a 30Mb hard drive as the standard was 20Mb).

Regards,

I think Weebly host the website. Why don't you "backup\download" the website from Weebly onto your PC - do a find and replace for the Weebly subdomain for your domain and then upload it to FastHosts?

Dibs

Well, I went into the A-record schedule on the Fasthost site, changed the addresses for "www" and "@" A-records to match the Weebly IP address as given in the Weebly Support pages, re-published .... et voila!! One dummy website with 9 linked pages up and visible online.

Pure bl**dy guesswork for part of it, but it seems OK. So I have used 123-reg for my domain name, Fasthosts as hosting service and Weebly as a WYSIWYG webpage builder and published direct from Weebly to Fasthosts (Weebly said it could be done on their support pages, but recomment that they do the hosting - which is probably why they make it a bit awkward!!).

Alls well that ends well; many thanks for all the advice. I still have a long way to go until the website is fully functional, but at least I have the bars bones up and running!!

henton49er":26fz6x7g said:
Well, I went into the A-record schedule on the Fasthost site, changed the addresses for "www" and "@" A-records to match the Weebly IP address as given in the Weebly Support pages, re-published .... et voila!! One dummy website with 9 linked pages up and visible online.

Pure bl**dy guesswork for part of it, but it seems OK. So I have used 123-reg for my domain name, Fasthosts as hosting service and Weebly as a WYSIWYG webpage builder and published direct from Weebly to Fasthosts (Weebly said it could be done on their support pages, but recomment that they do the hosting - which is probably why they make it a bit awkward!!).

Alls well that ends well; many thanks for all the advice. I still have a long way to go until the website is fully functional, but at least I have the bars bones up and running!!
You are no longer hosting on fast host..

By changing the A-Rec you have directed your domain name to weebly's servers instead of fast host. You have no need of fast host now, weebly is acting as your host ;)

having said that.. if your host gives you pop3/ smtp/ imapi mail boxes then I think you can still set those up on fasthost with your www being directed to weebly.. Not sure if weebly would let you set up email on the domain, if they do then that would probably be the easiest option and forget fast host completely.

Louise-Paisley":q8e3r68k said:
You are no longer hosting on fast host..

By changing the A-Rec you have directed your domain name to weebly's servers instead of fast host. You have no need of fast host now, weebly is acting as your host ;)

As long as it works, I'm OK with it. I might have wasted paying Fasthosts for 2 years of hosting, but it wasn't too much (<£10). I still get mail via Fasthosts, I think.

The first machine I ever wrote programmes for was a Commodore 64, which must have been around the same time you were on Z80s.

first programming I ever did was basic on a zx81 in 81 LOL

Then I got a dragon 32 and started assembly language, pretty sure that was 6502, then an amstrad 6126 z80 based, then Atari st & amiga 500 68000

The good old days when I could access every chip on the motherboard :D Everything now is high level languages like C++, I just cant get my head round it, I like to start with moving the contents of one memory location into a register and add it to another register and work up from that LOL

Still waiting for this link to eyeball ya webby by the way, mine is in the sig :D

At risk of changeing the course of this thread - though the topic is related.....

I use my own domain as a web address, but use my ISP as a mail host (currently TalkTalk). I think that this encourages some over-zealous mail programs to declare my emails as junk (they may be but I would rather the recipient see theem and decide).

Two questions:
(1) Is my diagnosis correct?
(2) Is there a simple solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Phill

Yes apparently talk talk got blacklisted at one point. People discovered it when they were trying to email documents to themselves at work and the work place filters were deleting them. The best thing you can do is if you have a domain name you should have access to a [email protected] email address. Set this up and use it. There is always the possibility of your email ending up in spam depending on what people have there settings on.

Back