getting a true/square edge on a router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micks

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i am having a go at making a jig, using an off cut of laminate mdf flooring about 6mm thick.

i set up router table fence with the 1/2" straight cutter just proud of the fence and proceeded to pass the mdf through a couple of times.

i ended up with a bow in the middle of the mdf , rather than it ending up straight.

i do not think the fence moved so am not sure what went amiss.

thank you

You need to have the outfeed side of the fence exactly flush with the cutting edge of the router bit. If you don't have independently adjustable fences, you can face the outfeed side with a few layers of masking tape or something. Basically, it's like the fences are acting the same as tables on a planer.

Brad

Yes, Wrightclan is right......
looks like you forgot to take into account the small, but extremely important sliver your taking off..

I personally use a peice of 2mm acrylic sheet with doublesided tape on the out feed fence for non measurement exact peices..ie just attaining a straight edge.

if you have an adjustable outfeed fence, taking account of the cutter when setting this, and you should be fine.

hope this is helpful.

I have found it quite difficult to use my router table as a jointer, even with independantly adjustable faces. There is a bit of a knack to applying the pressure needed to keep your stock against the fence. At the beginning you need to apply pressure on the infeed side and transfer to applying it on the outfeed side once you are more than half way through the pass. Even then I can still get a bowed edge :cry: .
I hope this makes some sense...it does need some practice.

Latest posts

Back