Get up those stairs!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx2man

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the total going of these stairs?
Click to enlarge.
The total rise is 2625mm (201.9mm single rise)

If there are any stairbulders about, i'd also like to know an
order of works for fitting them.

Cheers TX

Hi TX

If you're planning on building this then if I was you I'd get a decent Joinery book which will give you all the information regarding the rise and go of steps etc.

For instance looking in the book I've got it has stuff like "twice the rise plus going = 24 so with a rise of 71/2" the going would be 9".

John

Hi, new here. The term "going" is a new one on me. Could it be explained?

I did a quick 3D sketch from the drawing you posted. As you can see, I did not add nosing, trim or rails. If it would be useful, I would be happy to add further dimensions.
steps1.jpg

Dave

Dave,

Welcome to the forum!

Going- run; the horizontal distance between two successive nosings. The sum of the goings of a straight flight stair is the going of the flight.

Great sketch - is it with Sketchup?

Chris, thank you for the welcome and the explanation. I thought going might be the same as run. Good guess on the drawing. It is indeed SketchUp.

As it turned out from drawing the model, the going or run for each rectangular step is 234.33mm from riser front to riser front. I guess that would be the same as from nosing to nosing assuming the same amount of overhang on each.

Maybe it's just me but these look like rather steep steps. The rise is almost 8 inches with a tread depth of only about 9 inches.

Hi all

I found a thread on another site that maybe helpful.

Building regs part M1 paragraph 7.7

"A stair providing vertical circulation within the entrance story ... if it has flights whose clear widths are at least 900 mm."

Cheers
Neil

According to the info I have 71/2" is considered to be the maximum rise for a domestic stair with 61/2" to 7" for a public building - think you might be in need of a stairlift or crampons with that rise!! :)

Thanks All,

Dave R,
welcome to the forum( btw I'm a Dave R as well :D )
Good sketch of the stairs. 8)

I wanted to know how to calculate the total 'going' of the
stairs. I knew how on a straight flight but not on a half turn.
I have since been enlightened though! (Measure the centre line
all the way up and divide by the no. of treads).

Ta Neil,
That site was my next port of call.
These stairs aren't entrance story, they're up to a loft. (That's
why they're a bit sharpish :shock: )

Manny,
I know how to build them, but not how to fit them in sections.
I've got 'bench joinery' books, but they don't say :x
The MAX. rise for domestic stairs is 220mm,whereas,
the MIN. going is 220mm. The Max 'pitch angle is 42deg., so
you could have R.x 4'' by G.x 10'' which doesn't equate to
the quoted formula :?

Anyway, i'm all sorted now,so thanks again :D

TX
ps Sorry for mixing my Imperials and Metrics :oops:

To DaveR

Can you design for me the "Stairways to Heaven" :D

Welcome to the forum, could do with some more yanks around here, they've usually got some nice equipment.

tx2man and devonwoody, thanks for the welcome. Looks like you got a great thing going here.

Speaking of going, is the going on the staircase the length of the centerline projected onto the floor as we would apply the term run? Or is it the length of the line as if you stretched a piece of string from the top step nosing to the lower floor?

On the "Stairways to Heaven", if you can give me the specifications I'll get right on it. Should it be a straight staircase? :D

How's this for a start?
stairs.jpg

Thanks again. Hopefully I'll actually have something useful to add. I doubt it is better tools. ;)

Dave[/img]

To Dave R

Thanks for your pleasant reply.

Over here in the UK we are very envious of the low cost of woodwork equipment manufactured in the USA, I know many members here would like to buy high quality metal fittings. Any chance you could be be a supply contact? (with financial safeguards of course)

What sort of metal fittings are you thinking of? Something might be worked out with, as you say, the proper safeguards. I wouldn't want it tot turn into a large business as I'm afraid I don't have a great deal of time to put toward more ventures.

I must say I'm surprised at the perception that we have higher quality woodworking equipment here. Little in the way of equipment is manufactured here anymore. Yes, there is Lie-Nielsen in Maine making handplanes, saws and chisels that are very good. There are a few other small concerns that do similar stuff but I don't know of any major tools (power) made in this country any more. Pretty much anything with a cast iron table (tablesaw, jointer, bandsaw, drill press, etc.) is going from Asia (a few bandsaws are coming from Italy or points slightly north and a little east.)

Some day perhaps that manufacturing will come back to the US.

In any case, let me know what it is you're searching for. No promises but I'll see what I can find for you.

Dave

To Dave R
Thanks again for your response,

I meant to say hardware fittings, we in Europe are also getting alot of equipment from Asia.

My neighbour who has lived in the USA for many years gave me some hinges last year and the quality was superb. The box had the name "NATIONAL" of Illinois. I have been to their web site and also requested supply via email but they never responded.

I've know doubt that other members if they looked up this National catalogue would most probably be interested in making up an order.

So we'll see if their is any response this end to my posting?

Going off to a woodshow in a few minutes so most probably will not be back on line for 24 hours.

Dev, there's plenty of hardware resources in the US that you can deal direct with and get good service. Highland, Rockler, Lee Valley etc. LV's hardware catalogue runs to 212 A4 pages, so plenty of choice. But having said that I'm sure there's a few good surces in the UK if you look hard enough. I'm sure if you specify what exactly you have in mind somebody can point you in the right direction.

Noel

Back