Get a Grip!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John on the Wirral

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old Machine Mart level of drill press which is belt driven. However, I am on maximum tension but the belt is slipping. I could pick up a fan belt from a motor factor but before doing that should I use sollvent to remove the shine from the belt to get my grip back?

Best to check that the spindle moves freely, when the belt is slackened off.
This may be the problem - in which case, free the spindle i.e bearing freedom / lubrication.
If belt slip is the problem, sometimes lubricant ends up on the pulley - causing slippage
In that case, clean the pulleys and replace the belt. Best way to clean the pulleys is to clean them with mineral turps and then use a coarse scotch brite to slightly "roughen" any polish the belt might have done.
Also worth checking that the belt is the correct length - you need to check that you can get reasonable tension.

Thanks for your speedy respnse. I have checked the mechanics which are running smoothly and I suppose I should find a slightly shorter belt but I thought v-belts did not get longer with use.

V belts are used extensively in commercial heating and I used to cary hundreds of them and it is not only the length thats important but that there are various profiles available that not only vary by size but also the angle of the V, the belt should have full contact on the pulley sides but not be in contact with the bottom of the V. Also belts should have a certain amount of slack too tight and you get excessive wear in the bearings

also, has it just 1 belt.....?
asking as some machine can have three....tiny ones...
norm belts are just a couple of quid from the bearing factors....
plus buy a belt made in europe....

Back