German Pyramids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Could anyone please tell me where I could find plans to build a German Pyramid (christmas type object, large fan on top which spins, has candles underneath). I am looking to build one for the christmas holidays, any information would be helpful.
Thankyou.

Hello Jollyrob and a warm welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I don't have any info but hopefully someone'll come along before long! . Just wanted to send a hello. :)

Ike

I have found lots of pictures, think i'll just have to make it up as I go along. Can't be that difficult, only thing that could cause problems is getting the fan part right (choice of wood, pitch of the blades). I think some experimenting is needed.
Thanks for trying.
Jollyrob

JR
I think I've only ever seen one of these in the flesh, and the blades were just pushed in, the ends being turned down to a small dowel. This meant they could easily be turned by hand to the optimum angle, and could be removed for packing away for 11 months of the year.

Cheers
Steve

jollyrob":1a61qf8s said:
I have found lots of pictures, think i'll just have to make it up as I go along. Can't be that difficult, only thing that could cause problems is getting the fan part right (choice of wood, pitch of the blades). I think some experimenting is needed.
Thanks for trying.
Jollyrob

Steve's correct about the blades. We have one and they do just push into holes. I generally give them all the same angle and you can control the speed of the thing by increasing or decreasing the angle of the blades.
The candleholders are also removable for storage. They are simple flat pieces of wood that are a loose (very) into rectangular holes. A small metal cup on the end takes the candle and the weight of it holds the candleholders in place.
I don't think there is anything special about the construction, just make sure that the candles are far enough away from the blades so that they don't burn.
One point to note maybe is that the candles are actually quite small, although there are quite a few.

I like ours, they are nice and are different to the xmas tat that seems to be proliferating these days.

Come to think of it, how come the Eurocrats haven't banned such a blatantly dangerous thing yet. :wink:

ahh removable blades, that's a good idea. Think i'll have a fire extinguisher on standby this christmas!
Thanks again.
Jollyrob

Inverted copper roofing nails (the ones with great big heads) make excellent candle holders, especially if you cut the nail back a little so that it only just impales the base of the candle.

Yours

Gill (whose house gets completely taken over by Christmas pyramids on 1 December each year.)

GillD":1x42bpgd said:
Inverted copper roofing nails (the ones with great big heads) make excellent candle holders, especially if you cut the nail back a little so that it only just impales the base of the candle.
Hey up, Gill. Good tip that; one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

As an aside, if you want to scare yourself, have you ever disposed of a Christmas tree by burning it???

Ye Gods! thermonuclear pine resin explosion time... :D We now do it deliberately as an amusing end to the festive fun: the kids all love it, but it's made me totally paranoid about any heat/naked flames near the thing while it's in the house.

You don't even need kindling - just a burning piece of newspaper pushed into the needles, and it flash burns into life. The German roundabout jobbies are safer, but think about it all, nonetheless...

Ooops, never said Welcome to the forum, jollyrob. Remiss of me.

Sounds like Gill's sorted you out, but it did occur to me it might have been worth braving a German woodworking forum and asking. http://www.woodworking.de is one. It's guaranteed their English will be better than our German for a start. :oops: (Of course I'm assuming these pyramids aren't just German in name, which could be an erroneous assumption... :roll: ) Or there are our German members or course...

Cheers, Alf

Back