German 19th century machine shop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Mods: Please move this to General Metalworking if posting this in General Chat/Off Topic is incorrect, thanks.

Back in May I was able to visit the Deutsche Museum in Munich. Although my main interest was the aviation section, there was a lot of other interesting stuff there too. In fact I found that I could easily have gone back there for a 2nd day.

Included was a collection of 19th Century machine tools, all set up as if in an old shop, and complete with flat leather drive belts and pulleys plus the obligatory overhead line shafts.

Unfortunately, although clearly set up to run from compressed air, no machines were working, the shop was completely deserted and in virtually total darkness, and with almost unreadable descriptions for each machine, so it was generally a bit disappointing (that’s my excuse for the poor pix anyway).

Although there was only one “wood-related” machine there (a circular saw blade sharpening grinding machine) I know there are several members here who are interested in old machinery generally, so here goes with some pix:

Circ saw blade sharpener-CW.jpg

Machines 1-CW.jpg

Machines 2-CW.jpg

Machines 3-CW.jpg

Machines 4-CW.jpg

Machines 5-CW.jpg

Machines 6-CW.jpg

I hope these are of some interest.

AES

Attachments

• Circ saw blade sharpener-CW.jpg
    Circ saw blade sharpener-CW.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 712
  • Machines 1-CW.jpg
    Machines 1-CW.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 712
  • Machines 2-CW.jpg
    Machines 2-CW.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 712
  • Machines 3-CW.jpg
    Machines 3-CW.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 712
  • Machines 4-CW.jpg
    Machines 4-CW.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 712
  • Machines 5-CW.jpg
    Machines 5-CW.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 712
  • Machines 6-CW.jpg
    Machines 6-CW.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 712
That saw sharpening machine looks very 'Heath Robinson' but no doubt isn't. Thanks for posting.

Back