Generator recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
We are due to have some 'scheduled' power cuts over the next week or two while the leccy board do tree work to remove obstructions from overhead cables. Normally this would be no problem but my elderly disabled father-in-law (that lives in the annex to our house) is dependant on power for his rise and recline chairs as well as his toilet seat/bidet. My mother-in-law is also a bit unsteady and can be a liability in the dark!

A quick perusal shows that we'd need about 1kw of power available to cover these needs and (especially for his peace of mind) are considering a suitable portable petrol generator. Has anyone recommendations for suitable makes and models that will start easily? This will also allow for basic safety lighting for him.

Misterfish

I have used a number of Honda portable generators in the past for running domestic applinaces, often for several hours a day, for weeks at a time (well, if you live in Nigeria, you get used to having no electricity for large chunks of each week). Some of these are now available with electric start, and even have a pair of wheels so they can be moved with relative ease. Mind you, they are not cheap - have you looked at a hire?

Why don't you ask the leccy board who are doing the work to supply you with one while they are doing the work. Explain the situation about the elderly person and they might be able to help.
Not long ago, around my mates village, there were some cable stolen for scrap, which took out the power from a few house's. Because these house's wouldn't have power for a few days, they were all supplied with temporary generators while the problem was fixed

tsb":125hgnz5 said:
Why don't you ask the leccy board who are doing the work to supply you with one while they are doing the work. Explain the situation about the elderly person and they might be able to help.
Not long ago, around my mates village, there were some cable stolen for scrap, which took out the power from a few house's. Because these house's wouldn't have power for a few days, they were all supplied with temporary generators while the problem was fixed

+1

They're talking about 'undergrounding' (God, what a horrible made up word that is...almost as bad as 'detrain') the local 11kv overhead lines that feed us and the farm. They intend to provide generators for us.

We bought one last year, as we were doing refurbishments at the farm and we would be without power for a long time (new cables etc) we needed something very reliable and easy to use, as my wife would need to start it every morning and evening to get light at the stables (light in three stables, tack room, and porch lights outside the stables), I opted for a diesel as at the farm we have cheaper red diesel to our use

I bought the Hyundai DHY6000SE a silenced 5kw diesel generator

http://www.aclegardenmachinery.co.uk/wp ... 6000se2010

Well, it says portable, its bloody heavy – so to move it is a 2 man job,
Silenced at 70db at 7mtrs is not true, its loud

Very powerfull and with the electric starter very reliable, so it did the job it was supposed to do – it started all winter, frost or not, and is very economical to run

My advise – for small use – buy a petrol generator, but definitely one with an electric start, and possible with a remote start, like the Hyundai HY3600SEI

Do not underestimate how much you are going to hook-up on it, as its so comfortable to have power, you quickly have more hooked up then it can actually handle

Success

My father-in-law doesn't want 'any fuss' and is now considering hiring. As it is for his benefit he insists on paying but doesn't want to spend much - AND - he has to convince my mother-in-law. I've spoken to my brother-in-law who runs a farm business and he will 'bring something over' if need be. So thanks for the advice.

Misterfish

Latest posts

Back