General Restore

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnb44

Reaction score
Hi

New to the forum so probably the first of many questions. I have a LongCase Clock and before I put the clock in it would be nice to restore (to some degree the wood ) The cabinet is quite dirty and i have cleaned using Murphy Wood cleaner from the attached you can see section at the top of the door has been cleaned but actually looks quite tacky, is there a nice colored waxy polish that would now improve the appearance and give it some protection. Pointers really appreciated

Regards
John
clock.JPG

Attachments

• clock.JPG
    clock.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 362
Argus":1igly7hw said:
Assuming that the grounding is secure, Renaissance Wax polish is a conservation-quality polish.
I'd agree. I bought a couple of tins from Yandles a few years ago and a little goes a very long way. Developed apparently by the British Museum for the conservation of their 'stuff'. If it's good enough for the BM, it's good enough for me :lol: - Rob

Hi John.
I think you have a little woodwork to do before you start putting any king of finish on. The column on the left needs gluing and it looks like you are missing a moulding above the door, the crusty section below the ebony/boxwood stringing looks like the residue of glue that held the moulding on. Is there a similar mark that carries on around to the sides? In the section above and to the left of the door the finish has flaked off in places, you will need to touch these areas in with a tinted shellac or varnish to match it into the rest before applying any wax. The alternative would be to take the finish off and start again. Rennaisance wax is excellent but I think you would be better off with a coloured wax which will help to give the piece a bit more warmth. Liberon's Black Bison wax is very good and the Georgian Mahogany would be my choice.

Back