General Purpose vs Combination Table Saw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hi there

I am looking at getting a replacement blade for my table saw.
It is a 216mm Table saw from Axminster.

Upon researching online I came across and understood different types of TS blades. And that for most of my work, which is with a variety of hardwood and softwoods and sheets, a non specific blade (Neither cross cut, nor ripping) is a good option to begin with. But there are two types of it, as I understood: General Purpose and Combination. The former having about 40-50 teeth and generally with alternating bevel, whilst the latter has groups of four or five teeth with a large clearing in between.

The sites I turned to for info (too many of them) may have been American. Are the blade options the same on this side of the pond? If so, which one of these is better and any hint on particular brand etc will be helpful.

Thank you all.

bp

bp122":3gvydq7l said:
The sites I turned to for info (too many of them) may have been American. Are the blade options the same on this side of the pond? If so, which one of these is better and any hint on particular brand etc will be helpful.

Blade options are very different over here, I think there's more gimmick marketing over in the US so you get all these crazy shaped blades with crazy claims that are unfounded, such as the blade you mentioned with the four larger gullets which are totally pointless as all the teeth are cutting at the same height so they all remove an equal amount of material no matter how large the gullet. A blade like that would only work with an old-style untipped steel blade that had set like handsaw so you'd leave the teeth with the bigger gullets unset to remove material from the centre of the cut, totally pointless with an unset tipped blade. Another one you'll see is "glue line rip" blades which are exclusive to the US, they're just regular TCG blades with a label on the side claiming extra nonsense.
I think a blade like this one would suit you best: https://www.scosarg.com/cmt-291-crosscut-sawblade-d-216-b-2-8-d-30-z-48. CMT make excellent blades at a good price.

I would avoid US information if you can and stick to information from this side of the pond, this thread might help you out :wink: : https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/a-guide-to-circular-saw-blades-t119811.html

Thank you Trevanion , for a thoroughly detailed explanation!

I read through the other post you suggested as well, which is very informative and cuts out the BS (pun intended) I shall take another look at the recommendations from both and make a final decision!

Once again, thank you very much.

Latest posts

Back