• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

GemRed Bevel Box died?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a GemRed bevel box from Axy, had it for a few years but only used it once or twice. Doing some mitres at the weekend went to get it out, dead. Battery I thought. Put a new battery in and still nothing, I got a brief glimpse of numbers twice on the screen but couldn't get them to return.

Anyone else had similar or solution?

Blister

Established Member
Reaction score
Put a new battery in and still nothing
Is that new as in just purchased

or

New as in one you had lying around at home ?

I have been caught out by putting what I thought was a new battery in only to find it was dead as well

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it was straight out of the packet, but it was from home. It did flicker to life for a mili second twice, which would suggest it wasnt the battery?

Blister

Established Member
Reaction score
Are they the small flat round type ?

I had a new ( in the packet ) spare for my digital calipers , it was flat when I fitted it

Went and purchased a new one and it worked fine

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
They are very susceptible to low or cold coin cell as I found one cold morning when it wouldn't work properly until the coin cell reach normal room temperature.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I will buy a new battery and warm it up for a few hours before trying it again. It'd be a shame to not have it, when needed it was a good bit of kit.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
One thing with these little angle boxes is the off button only turns off the display they use a littel bit of power to remember the last zero that you set. If you don't use it much take the battery out and it may last a bit longer.

Machine DRO who do the original Wixey ones sell packs of 5 batteries very cheaply

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/spare-parts.html

J

ProShop

Established Member
Reaction score
FWIW all these types of battery have a ltd shelf live, so if the shop you buy them from have had them in stock a long while.................................... The good ones have a date of manufacture on them.

You see a lot of them for sale on ebay, usually cheap as the shelf life is close or long gone, although some sellers do stock good ones.