Gear Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
There I was , drilling a hole in a lump of yew to take a screw chuck and a funny sort of smell met my nose. Then a funny sort of smoke met my eyes and then a not so funny sort of heat hit my hand.

The cordless hit the floor and cracked in two. What with the motor being on fire and the handle over here and the rest of it over there, I decided that it might be broken.

As one does, I took it apart to see what was inside. There were lots of bits. Some made of plastic and some metal bits that seemed suspiciously like a gearbox. When I separated them, they all fell in a heap on the bench. I decided against trying to put them back together.

I was looking at the pile of bits and wondered if I could incorporate any of them into a turning. I turned a spigot on a bit a box and put on one of the bits of gearbox. I then let the hand and eye do its own thing as usual without any preconceived plan.

This thing sort of grew around the metal. Nowt to do with me.

I now am a bit undecided if I prefer it with or without the metal. It goes to the gallery on Monday so I'll leave it unfixed and the purchaser (one hopes there is one) can put it on or leave it off according to fancy!!

Please feel free to criticise, laugh or genefluct.

Attachments

• 100_3560.jpg
    100_3560.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 692
  • 100_3559.jpg
    100_3559.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 692
  • 100_3558.jpg
    100_3558.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 691
  • 100_3557.jpg
    100_3557.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 691
Where's my hammer, if a bit of a gearbox out of a drill makes you turn that, my old Makita in for a bit of a bashing :lol:

I like the photo's with the metal cog in the assembly, it seems to pull the two parts together were as the photos without, seem to be missing something.
=D> Very nice piece =D>

Cheers
David

Alli":ifywuila said:
Where's my hammer, if a bit of a gearbox out of a drill makes you turn that, my old Makita in for a bit of a bashing :lol:

I like the photo's with the metal cog in the assembly, it seems to pull the two parts together were as the photos without, seem to be missing something.
=D> Very nice piece =D>

Cheers
David

Thanks David,

I think I prefer it with the metal too. I posted it on WOW and the Yanks seem to prefer it without. each to their own.
I am lucky in that the cordless was one of four I was given when I left where I worked in the UK. Probably best not to smack the Makita too hard, you might need it.

Back