GDPR

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sunnybob":6hgclacw said:
I use an ad blocker, which is telling me there are 6 blocks in at the moment. I'm also using windows defender which is supposed to be a very good firewall.
OT
Windows Defender is an antivirus programme. All versions of Windows have had a firewall built in & turned on by default, since Windows XP Service Pack 2. :)

On the theme of GDPR.... anyone got any idea how images 'captured' by drones are covered under this law.?

We have a neighbour who loves to fly his drone waaaayyyy up high and capture pictures of the surrounding houses. How do i know.... because he offered me an image of our house taken this way.!

Does he need my permission to take/store the images.? And if i agree he then needs to show just how securely he has these images stored.?

The outside of your house is considered public space, so anyone can stop on the street and take a picture of your house (assuming they don't enter your land to do so).

There are plenty of laws covering the flying of drones though. He is likely to be in contravention of them.

I don't think so devonwoody (but not 100% sure): We (Switzerland) are not EU, and up to now, the only "permission" E-mails I've received have been from UK companies (not even any from German companies, which I would have expected by now, because I have bought from some in the past).

Thing is, I have NEVER purchased from robert sorby, and the only possible way they could have gotten my email address is through this site. i am not on any other UK woodworking site at this time.

I can assure you that we have never passed any details onto any third-party. The only way a company or individual could get your email address from this site is if you've posted it on a public post or shared your email address with another member via PM or the email feature.

Hope this helps

Charley, nope. I am VERY particular about my email, which is why I got annoyed. I even use my wifes email for as much as possible as she gets a 100 or so junk mails a day of her own choosing..

If you say it wasnt from here then thats that.

sunnybob":23mpc2e0 said:
Charley, nope. I am VERY particular about my email, which is why I got annoyed. I even use my wifes email for as much as possible as she gets a 100 or so junk mails a day of her own choosing..

If you say it wasnt from here then thats that.

We take personal data and security very seriously. The only way an individual could have got access to your email address via UKW is if you chose to share it.

Bob,
Could Sorby have got your address through Axminster during your various dealings with them. I get emails from firms I have never dealt with so I believe they do get passed on.

John

It wasn't strictly legal to do that under the old Data Protection Act (data could only be used for the purpose declared when it was collected), but I know it went on a lot. There were also certain "loopholes" regarding commercial email addresses (business-to-business messages), so I'm sure many private addresses ended up on "business" lists ("oh sorry, have we used the wrong email address accidentally?").

Now I'm getting emails to my work address from companies neither I or the company has dealt with, asking if I want to continue receiving stuff from them. It will be interesting to see if they stop and the spam tails off over time. I suspect it won't. I've even been spammed (quite a bit) by people selling GDPR services, ironically even though we do that ourselves (the selling of GDPR services, not the spamming!).

Back