GDPR

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Me: I'm looking for somebody to help me with GDPR
Other person: I know somebody that can help you
Me: Can you give me their email address please?
Other person: No.

Eric The Viking":lxkxaapm said:
Nice.

I got an email from the area Neighbourhood Watch lot this week saying they had "taken advice" and that no action was necessary for local groups. There's an interesting lawsuit waiting to happen...

Consent IS required for Neighbourhood Watch.

5.2.1 The lawful grounds that Neighbourhood Watch Network, Force Area/Borough
Associations and local Neighbourhood Watch Schemes have for collecting and using the
personal data of members is the consent of the person about whom the data is held.

This (PDF) might be useful for them.

I know.

We've been going through the whole thing with our clients for months now - hence the thing about someone getting sued, somewhere.

I was amazed when I read the email, expecting some common sense things to do (like, say, asking permission of the locals and rules on data security, etc.).

I think I will gently have to stick an oar in somehow, at least with our local group.

[later] just read the PDF you kindly referenced: if that's out there, how can our local "professional" get it so wrong? The document is just what I'd have expected if it was done properly... <sigh>.

E.

PS: Which force issued it? There wasn't an author I could see from a quick scan...

I think I've been GDPR'ed, but google hasnt bothered to tell me.
I run a 10 year old laptop with vista, using chrome just for emails and forum surfing. This morning I just kept getting the "aw snap" page when trying to access hotmail.
After checking on another laptop running 8.1 that hotmail was still there I spent a couple hours deleting caches, cookies, and all the other stuff google told me to . Still no hotmail.

I finally loaded Opera and using that I can access hotmail perfectly well.
Vista chrome still works on this site and all the other places I normally visit.
Thank you google.

Eric,

The document that ScaredyCat linked to was issued by Our Watch, the national neighbourhood watch association charity

https://www.ourwatch.org.uk/

The whole system of NHWs is somewhat baffling. As well as the national charity, locally in Bristol we have the Avon & Somerset NHW Network

https://www.asnwa.org/

as well as the Bristol NHW Network

http://www.bristolnhwnetwork.org.uk/

and, from conversations that I was having with them and the police NHW administrator at Bridewell Police Station, the police have their own database as well; some months ago they were trying to sort out a combined list of all the NHWs.

The latest information from the Avon & Somerset NHW Network, as sent to me by the police NHW administrator a couple of days ago is this:

View attachment asnwa-nw-gdpr-guidance-consent.pdf

The police are supposed to be issuing their own advice shortly.

If you want any more info. send me a pm.

Martin

Attachments

• asnwa-nw-gdpr-guidance-consent.pdf
    233.6 KB · Views: 30
Now I have a list of people to whom I send a Christmas card. Many of them are friends, for them the list also includes birthdates.
I also have a list of email addresses, again of businesses and friends.
Any care to guess where that leaves me?
xy

I'm suddenly getting emails telling they all want to be my best buddy.
I got one today from Robert Sorby, telling me they would like to keep on selling to me and to just agree.
Thing is, I have NEVER purchased from robert sorby, and the only possible way they could have gotten my email address is through this site. i am not on any other UK woodworking site at this time.

There, THATS a can o' worms, aint it? considering I use an ad blocker.

Interesting,
I have also had an email from Robert Sorby whom I also have not purchased directly from, i wonder where they are 'harvesting' email addresses from?

sunnybob":1swaou58 said:
I got one today from Robert Sorby, telling me they would like to keep on selling to me and to just agree.
Thing is, I have NEVER purchased from robert sorby
Same here.
They are part of the 'Spear and Jackson' group but I haven't signed up to any of those others either.
We live in a pit of snakes and ordure.

I use an ad blocker, which is telling me there are 6 blocks in at the moment. I'm also using windows defender which is supposed to be a very good firewall.

maybe this site is selling off its assets before its not allowed to any more?

Yes.

If you want to buy anything which is from or passes through Europe.

but that's a political discussion which isn't allowed on here. so enough.

sunnybob":ir4zw8at said:
I use an ad blocker, which is telling me there are 6 blocks in at the moment. I'm also using windows defender which is supposed to be a very good firewall.

maybe this site is selling off its assets before its not allowed to any more?

It's the trackers you need to block, that's where the info is obtained.

devonwoody":2wkj84hz said:
If we had already been out of the EU would any of these regulations have been applicable to UK computers?

It would have made no difference. The government were going to adopt it regardless of us being in or out. Personally I find it a much easier way to unsubscribe. Simply don't reply and on 25th May it's done :) - It also works for us at work. We only want to send offers, info on new products to people who are genuinely interested. GDPR is filtering out those who are no longer interested through lack of reponse, those that remain are clearly interested.

I am feeling quite left out

I haven't had an email from Robert Sorby :-(

Not that I want one of course but if emails were being scraped off this forum or sold on surely it would be all not just a few ?

I have had GDPR requests from all and sundry other previous suppliers/advertisers though

I accepted those I want and left the ones I don't

Back