G'day to everyone from An Aussie Toy maker/Designer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toydesigner

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a bit of a look over this forum site, so decided to join in.( Nothing ventured,- nothing gained.) Already a regular contributor to several other international Woodworking forums.
Bit about myself,- always enjoyed working with wood, and artistic design, even when at school. After I left school, I worked with an elderly carpenter who was in his 70's way back in the late 1970's, and he taught me heaps of stuff. Dome a bit of most things woodwork over the ensuring years,- though prefer Wooden Toy Design, and making workable prototypes, which I sell here in my own bit of Australia, while as for the actual designs, they become Toy Plans which I sell to anyone who wishes to buy them, either through magazine Ads, word-of-mouth, or via several internet sites. Also am into designing making & selling traditional Wooden Signboards for houses, shops, etc. Don't use a CNC machine either, - everything is done by a hand-guided router, or a power-carver fitted into a mini-router base, with an engraving tip. CNC machines are OK when one has heaps of repeat work, but for genuine individual projects, i can't see the point of out-laying thousands for a fancy piece of electronic machinery, then set the design up on a computer, sit and watch the machine work out the design,- One might as well become a Robot !!! Yes,- I like the original hands-on approach,- and its more enjoyable too,- plus greater satisfaction to know that I have made it for the client.
Here in Australia, I live in the small coastal town, ( Village ), of Port Vincent, population about 450 people, on the eastern side of Yorke Peninsula, ( also called," Australia's only leg ), South Australia,- which is about 120 miles by road, or a 35 mile swim, from Adelaide. Port Vincent is a popular Tourism Town in the summer, as the population swells to about 3,000 people over the Christmas-January School Holidays. The surrounding countryside is all general farming, with farms averaging from about 1,000 acres, up to about 5,000 acres. Barley, Wheat, Canola, & legumes are the main crops, with most farmers also running a flock of Merino sheep for the high-quality wool. Most farm machinery here is," huge," compared to what you would have in the UK,- 300 hp tractors,
pulling air-seeders which cover up to 100 ft in one pass, ( fortunately they fold-up for road-travel !! ), Combine harvesters with 30ft.fronts, while trucks, ( lorries ), come in all sizes, from "baby ", 3 tonners,- up to, 120 ton, " Road-trains. " - Description of a, " Road-train," for those who don't know,- three x 40 ft,- 45ft tri-axle trailers, linked together, with the front trailer coupled to the " Rig," or Prime-mover, ( tractor unit ). " Aussie hardware," like this gives me a never-endding list of potential subjects for future Toy Plans.
*** QUESTION,- Have noticed several members have a link to their own website,- How does one do that, without stepping on anyone's toes ??
Wishing everyone happy woodworking,
Roger

Welcome to the forum Roger , from one colonial to another as it were. Love to see some of your toys amigo. I am just a hobby type myself , toys seem like to being right up my street. I do some small model planes with the band saw and printed card models as patterns once in a while. After a few posts you should be able to open up some of the forums features like pictures and links and so forth. Looking forward to seeing your stuff. If you need entertaining , try the hand tool ward, never a dull moment.

Thanks kindly for the wooden toy compliments. Got some quite spectacular, out of the ordinary designs here,- such as a truck set up as a Home Bar, and a telescopic boom Mobile Crane that actually works. The Mobile Crane is an very popular toy plan, even though it was originally desinged back in the mid 1980's. Working on some realistic aircraft designs at the moment,- based on the Cessna 400 series; Piper Warrior, etc.,- complete with choice of either a standard twin-blade prop, or the more complicated three-bladed variety. I set most of my wooden toys to scale, then they look more realistic.
** Hand Tools department,- had my fair share of mishaps over the years,- squashed fingers; drilled thumbnails, etc., at least still have ALL my fingers, & thumbs in one piece !! :D
Have contributed a bit of editorial work for The Australian Woodworker Magazine over the years. Nowadays am a senior member of the Australian Woodwork Forums, and regularly answer members enquiries, questions, or occasionally ask questions, seek information for myself.
When I have had a bit of practice with working my way round / through this site, then I shall certainly add on some photos of my Wooden Toys, etc.
'ave a good day, & happy woodworking,
Roger

Welcome to the forum Roger. Aside from household maintenance projects, wooden toys are about the only thing I turn out in my shop these days. Im getting old and slow so I have trouble producing my usual 12 to 14 toys annually which are donated at Christmas to children of needy families. After 16 years of retirement it is probable my output has been something more than 200 toys. I have never sold a toy. Why not ? Simply have not been able to put a price on a child's smile.

Lee

Toydesigner":35fxkq8j said:
is," huge," compared to what you would have in the UK,- 300 hp tractors,
pulling air-seeders which cover up to 100 ft in one pass, ( fortunately they fold-up for road-travel !! ), Combine harvesters with 30ft.fronts,
Welcome to the forum - good to see the number of international woodworkers now in contact.
But from your comment above, I don't think you can have visited the UK recently! Even up here in NE Scotland 2-300HP tractors are not uncommon, nor are 10m combine headers. Meet them far too often on our narrow roads! Or even worse, get stuck behind them.

Actually never been outside of Australia. Have seen heaps of UK magazines, & stuff on the internet,- the vast majority showing only SMALLER UK Tractors, and Implements, therefore apologize for the insult to your intelligence. Know what you mean by getting stuck behind a large tractor, or implement,- especially with the big 4x4 Cats; John Deere's; MF's; Case, etc., 360 Hp. articulated tractors and duel wheels on all axles, and, " bowling along," the road at about 30 - 40mph ! The sensible drivers try to keep the two outer wheels on the roadside verge,- the " cowboys," simply stay in the middle of the road, with the two inner wheels on or nearly on the white line,- totally frustrating to anyone stuck behind !! Another frustrating experiece is being stuck behind tractor towing a Folding-wing Cultivator, or harrows,- and the Folding- wing/s are NOT correctly locked down,- every bump, or pothole hit,- the jolly wing swings across the road. Although one day a truckie coming the opposite direction definately made one particular farmer get an errant wing fixed,- he hit it just as the wing swung out. Made a big mess for sure. But fixed the problem !! Cost the farmer heaps too, in fines, and damaging another vehicle, etc.,
After THAT, that particular farmer made sure everything worked properly and locked properly before venturing out onto the main road !!!!!
'ave a good day, & happy woodworking
Roger

Back