Gate curved head rail tenon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfarris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks
Having trouble getting my head around this curved top rail tenon :? Not sure what width to make the tenon and haunch being as the curve cuts right into the tenon. The curved rail is not taking the hinge the rail below is. Any suggestion by those in the know would be greatly appreciated

John

Attachments

• Revised head 752 radius.png
    Revised head 752 radius.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 121
I'm a furniture maker not a joiner, so no expert on gates, but I'd use a bridal joint to maximise glue area. I'd also make sure I was using a genuinely waterproof glue such as Cascamite.

custard":2k1tzbod said:
I'm a furniture maker not a joiner, so no expert on gates, but I'd use a bridal joint to maximise glue area. I'd also make sure I was using a genuinely waterproof glue such as Cascamite.
Yep. And draw-bore two dowels close to the join. Might need a capping strip on top to cover the end grain, if it's likely to be exposed to the weather.

+1 for a simple bridle joint with a drawbored dowel (glue optional). Assuming the door is normally closed, the joint should get a reasonable level of protection from rain dripping on/in from above by dint of the masonry above. Cheers, W2S

Latest posts

Back