Gas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenfield Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much gasoline costs over there. It is about $3.25 a gallon here.
I know when somebody answers me I won't be able to tell how much that would be here, but what the heck.

Bob

Hi Bob.

Its about 90 pence a litre down my way. I have no idea what that is per gal off the top of my head.

Have a nice day Bob.

ATB Gary.

That's about £4.08 pence/gall Bob but I dunno what the pound/dollar exchange rate is right now.

Exchange rate about $1.80

And about 90.9 pence/litre round here (about $7.40/imperial gallon?)

Today, I paid $1.399 per litre for regular gas. That would be approximately $5.40 per US gallon or $6.30 per Imperial gallon. These are Canadian prices. In USD this would be $4.63 and $5.40 per gallon, respectively.

Ed #-o :(

Hiya Bob
This coming Wednesday our price will be increasing to about ZAR5.92/Litre.
At current rates this is about US$3.45/gallon, or US$0.43/pint.

Gary - At 90P/L that would be about GBP3.41/gallon ? (GBP0.43 per pint?)

2.11pints/Litre ? 8 pints/gallon ?
3.785 Litre/Gallon ?
Whew! We decimilised over 40 years ago.
Phil – confused …..

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Here in Switzerland yesterday I paid CHF1.87/litre (approx 81.8p/litre) for Shell V100 (local equivalent to Optimax I believe). I think regular 95 octane unleaded was about CHF1.78 (77.8p/litre). Diesel is - surprisingly - about CHF 0.10 more expensive.

Gas (petrol) prices are dictated by many factors which differ among countries. Typically, consuming nations try to tax the heck out of it because it's something everyone one finds hard to do without - just as tobacco and alcohol attract tax. In nations which produce a lot of oil, the price of petrol is often kept very low - close to the cost of production, usually because these are often poor nations in other respects and because of historical precedent so that the citizens get this "break" and thus keep the politicians in power. Free beer or perhaps cocaine might do that in the UK?

In Europe we pay a lot of tax on fuel and in the UK, we pay the most, see this table (there is something wrong with the Danish tax figure but it looks correct apart from that).

Petrol.sized.jpg

So when people blame the oil companies for the cost of their fuel, they have chosen the wrong target.

There is also a lot of BS about all petrol being the same. This just isn't so. Even when companies sell petrol to third parties from their refinery this is no evidence for the stuff being the same, any more than if you compared the alcohol in bonded whisky warehouses. The fact is that petrol properties are modified by additives that frequently get added only at the depot level. Differentiation of fuels is very real, very competitive and very expensive for the oil companies. It can also make a huge difference in performance of engines, far outweighing the cost differentials. However, not all engines respond in exactly the same way.

Disclaimer: I used to work for an oil company so I know what I am talking about but you are also welcome to say I am biased.

No, you're not biased, that's the way things are. And that's why I go over the border to buy fuel, which is currently 25p/ltr cheaper.

Noel

Is there something I'm missing on that chart, Denmark seems to have a pre-tax cost of 34.93, then add the tax in of 0.69, and still end up paying 74.74 for their fuel?

D.

Latest posts

Back