Gas stove

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildrome

Established Member
Reaction score
My folks bought this to cook on during the 70s blackouts (we only had an electric hob).

I thought I might take it camping. Does anyone know what that gas tap fitting is?

1653861397034.png

It's a gas pressure regulator.
If it's from the 70s, you should replace it. The hose also.

It's a gas pressure regulator.
If it's from the 70s, you should replace it. The hose also.
Indeed unless the hose has been replaced with a date stamp on it. But they are normally orange not white...

Yes that hose is likely perished along with the seals in the regulator, not very expensive to replace and you should get years of service from the stove,

This unit is designed to work with blue camping gaz cylinders. They originate from France as you can guess from the box, have been around forever, and come in different sizes. They are thick steel bodied, refillable, cylinders. Sort of equivalent to smaller calor gas cylinders but they don't have a manually operated valve on the top, it's more like screwing the regulator into a disposable cylinder.
Not common on the high street anymore, but camping and caravan shops should recognise them.
They're butane by the way. (Correction, I'd never realised but as pointed out by woodwind ans cmoops2, it's a butane propane blend).
I rather imagine that if you're replacing the regulator and hose, you could swap them out for parts compatible with standard calor gas. The stove should work fine.

Last edited:
From the box and the regulator its a camping gaz brand connector which will only fit camping gaz bottles. 907 type. They are refillable but are probably a bit more expensive per Kg than normal propane bottles. They are compact though, a big plus.

The other 2 most common types are standard propane bottles and patio gas which for reasons I never understood are fractionally different. The regulators are inexpensive so your starting point is decide which bottle type you want to use then get the appropriate regulator and at the same time some new hose.

The cheapest place to get a cylinder from is your local tip/ recycling center. They are difficult to dispose off so they'll have a pile to give away ,then you go to a garage and exchange for a full one. Calor etc are cheaper than the camping GAZ ones but aren't available to swap abroad.

As camping Gaz regulators operate at 28mBar (for Gas Family 30 appliance), do NOT use this cooker with propane as it requires a (Gas Family 31) 37mBar regulator. The upshot of running this cooker on propane will be a fiercer flame (propane has a higher calorific value than butane) which will affect the buner performance and its lifespan.

If in doubt, look for a label (called a data badge in the trade) on the appliance - if present, it will identify the operating pressure of the appliance (and maybe the Gas Family number).

The cheapest place to get a cylinder from is your local tip/ recycling center. They are difficult to dispose off so they'll have a pile to give away ,then you go to a garage and exchange for a full one.
They have deposits on them, even without the paperwork they're worth a few quid. They are uncommon at the dump and the suppliers pick them up, anyway.

My chum uses a red (propane) bottle on his BBQ but runs it through a flow valve rather than a regulator, Im not familiar with the working but I think its just an adjustable regulator? he gets the bottles from work and has had no issues with it over very many excellent BBQs

They have deposits on them, even without the paperwork they're worth a few quid. They are uncommon at the dump and the suppliers pick them up, anyway.
Depending on size and brand new empty gas bottles are £40-100. There also seems to be a shortage so it may be difficult to get a new one. On the advice of a calor distributor who couldn't supply new I went to my local tip and had a choice of 30+ emptys ,mostly the smaller sizes and plenty of camping GAZ ones. Worth a look for anyone wanting a gas bottle.
Technically the up front payment is a deposit, you never own the bottle so cannot sell it.

Last edited:
Not 100% sure but probably fits one of these cylinders (type 907)
As others have said, if they are original, I’d change the pipe and regulator anyway and stick to butane (blue cylinders) if that’s what the stove is designed for.

Attachments

• BB7C9BBE-0B05-44A2-B219-913462565F55.jpeg
    BB7C9BBE-0B05-44A2-B219-913462565F55.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0
Your tips must be a lot different to ours as ours won't let you take anything from there, so unless you cop the person on the way in you have no chance of finding a bottle here at a tip

Depending on size and brand new empty gas bottles are £40-100. There also seems to be a shortage so it may be difficult to get a new one. On the advice of a calor distributor who couldn't supply new I went to my local tip and had a choice of 30+ emptys ,mostly the smaller sizes and plenty of camping GAZ ones. Worth a look for anyone wanting a gas bottle.
Technically the up front payment is a deposit, you never own the bottle so cannot sell it.

The other 2 most common types are standard propane bottles and patio gas which for reasons I never understood are fractionally different. The regulators are inexpensive so your starting point is decide which bottle type you want to use then get the appropriate regulator and at the same time some new hose.
Patio gas has a different fitting (clip on rather than screw on) and sell for more money because you pay for convenience I guess. The bottles are sightly different sizes too.

Patio gas has a different fitting (clip on rather than screw on) and sell for more money because you pay for convenience I guess. The bottles are sightly different sizes too.

Indeed they are. I reluctantly bought a new bbq this year because the body of the 20 year old one finally rusted beyond repair: the only thing left to rivet patches to were the patches from years gone by. It came with a patio gas regulator but I got a new one that fitted my bottles being as how that was the easiest option.

I see them as a modern abomination, wholly unnecessary. I remember the early advertising and it was all about looks, more people getting gas barbecues, don't have ugly bottles have our new shiny green attractive patio gas and your guests will drool over how smart your garden is, or something like that. I must admit I have never had a visitor say to me "great food but hey, your gas bottle is really ugly..." but maybe they think it and are too polite to mention. Or maybe, and more likely, nobody cares as long as the food arrives.

Looking at the gas cages in my local garden centre I notice a fair few patio gas bottles starting to look scruffy and faded, so rather like humans the wow factor fades with age.

Latest posts

Back