gas regulators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Calor Patio gas (propane) cylinder that I would like to run a blowtorch off, unfortunately I have only a low pressure (clip on) regulator. I'm drawing a bit of a blank finding a high pressure one, so can anyone suggest one before I bite the bullet and get a different cylinder? I had a 19kg cylinder before but my loved one left it outside. (Very near a "traveller's" camp.)

I presume that's the dark green bottle you have.?

If it is, then from what I remember, they were brought out for gas bbq s and stocked by diy companies like b&q.
The theory being you bought a gas bbq and a bottle as a kit, the took them back to b&q for an exchange when they ran out. It also had the advantage for the retailer, that when you went to change it,, you would buy lots of other stuff at the same time....with the wife piling her trolley high from the plant section.

As far as I know you'll have to trade up to a red bottle with all the deposit cost before you even buy the bottle and regulator.

but I stand to be corrected.

if you have a calor dealer locally they usually will just swop one calor cylinder for another different size, type etc. well our local ones will. also if you have an avanti gas dealer they are much cheaper than calor, mind you most bottled gas suppliers are cheaper than calor!

As far as I know you'll have to trade up to a red bottle with all the deposit cost before you even buy the bottle and regulator.
That is the case as far as I know, you need the Red propane cylinder so you can use an adjustable regulator, it is what I use for my roofers torch for stubborn weeds.

Yes, I suspect I'll have to sell the full bottle on. I know Calor is expensive, but I paid only £5 for the empty cylinder and the refill would probably last me for the rest of my life. I could probably swap it empty for another Calor cylinder, but it's full. I had a 19kg bottle before - for some odd reason they weren't charging deposits on them, unlike every other size.

I have a Bullfinch Bijou high pressure adjustable on a standard Calor Butane bottle, but they seem to be difficult to find. is THIS any use with an appropriate adapter?

Edit: Just noticed it's a Propane you are after, they are easier to find.

Last edited:
Well, you could by a cheap patio heater, and use it till its empty!

Be aware Calor Gas are not allowing new customers to buy the first cylinder, will only supply if you bring an empty one.
Major shortage of cylinders.

Bod.

Excellent! I might get a better price for mine when I sell it on. I bit the bullet and bought a 6kg cylinder the Shylock in me wanted to go for a larger one, but the smaller is easier to drag around and store. £25 deposit, but that's the same for any cylinder, so if in the future i need a larger one (highly unlikely) I can swap.

Latest posts

Back