Gas pipe couplings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack22

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this question will raise a few tut tuts from all those who are Gas Safe candidates, are compression joints frowned on when it comes to fittings on gas pipes, I note that generally that copper end fed joints are used, obviously cheaper, however I have a situation where I am having to join an existing pipe end that is cemented in close to the wall with an elbow coupling, it would not be easy to see if the joint was good if it were soldered, so I thought a compression fitting would be the solution, any ideas please.

mack22":3bhflsor said:
any ideas please.

Yes - get a Gas Safe registered man in to do it.

What you're suggesting is illegal and potentially highly dangerous.

I posed the question to find an answer, Illegal !..... I am somewhat surprised that a joint that can hold back some 40+ odd psi water pressure would fail on just 0.18 psi gas pressure!!!!

The other thing you want to sort out is your pipe should not be in contact with cement, it should be sleeved, one so the alkali in the cement will not attack teh copper and two to allow for some expansion & contraction in the pipework.

I am somewhat surprised that a joint that can hold back some 40+ odd psi water pressure would fail on just 0.18 psi gas pressure
But if that gas leaks it will do a lot more damage. It's not the fitting thats illegal its doing the work if you are not Competant and the best way to prove competance is to pass Gas Safe membership tests.

J

Thanks for your reply Jason, I appreciate the fact that gas can cause explosions etc, the pipe in question was installed by the Gas Board when a new meter was fitted, it could be sleeved but does not look like it, I will check again.
Sadly my experience with so called Gas experts Corgi/Gas Safe candidates does nothing to inspire me that they are in any way better than other mortals, other than they are insured (I trust) against if anything goes bang!

Yes you can use compression fittings on a gas pipe, but its got to be accessible i.e. not boxed in or under floor boards

4 yrs ago Mack I installed my own LPG boiler, and I faced the problem as you, everyone said summat different!
So I spent ages reading up the regs. As of 4 yrs ago the answer was yes, BUT, you are/were supposed to use copper olives.
In the event the gas fitter used Yorkshire fittings! :?

Roy.

jasonB":2lhe9d4e said:
It's not the fitting thats illegal its doing the work if you are not Competant and the best way to prove competance is to pass Gas Safe membership tests.

J

Are you sure that's right Jason? I was talking to a Gas Safe inspector a couple of weeks ago (inspecting a dodgy boiler installation which had been fitted by a builder). He said that if you aren't Gas Safe, touching the gas supply in any way is illegal and reportable to the HSE. Competent or not.

If doing it for money or other return then you must be Gas Safe, if doing it for yourself then Competant.

The problem is proving you are competant.

J

jasonB":2zubi8i1 said:
If doing it for money or other return then you must be Gas Safe, if doing it for yourself then Competant.

The problem is proving you are competant.

J

That explains it then; i've always considered it from a trade point of view. Thanks Jason.

Having said that I would not suggest anyone does their own DIY gas unless you really can show you know what you are doing and have the correct equipment to test the work such as doing a drop test.

You may well also invalidate any home insurance and could have problems when it comes to sell the property.

J

I have done gas work in my own houses and have used compression fittings with no problems.
Just test for leaks after assembly with a bit more diligence! (soapy water is ideal) a match is not ideal!! :lol:

jasonB":3eggno15 said:
The problem is proving you are competent.

J

I believe the legal definition of competent is someone who has completed & passed an approved ACoP course in gas work.

A legal definition of " competent" was needed for the courts, for cases bought against those not deemed competent to do gas work, as such cases can carry custodial sentences.

Can you use compression joints on gas ? Yes IF you are a gas safe qualified engineer (formerly Corgi) , and I have seen some pretty incompetent gas safe engineers but they are qualified. If a qualified gas safe engineer does something unsafe like leave an open ended pipe then this is becomes whats called RIDDOR reportable to the HSE with huge fines,penalties etc. Gas can be very dodgy stuff and has to be treated with respect and I`ve worked with it for 40yrs. Best advice - don`t its too late afterwards.
Steve

Thank you Steve and everyone else, of course I would not undertake any action that I was unsure of, hence my original question, having worked with compressed air fittings at all pressures, I am not stupid, however I find it frustrating that I have to rely on (sadly) someone who has never dealt with anything other than 1 psi !!
Incidently my friends house where I am sorting out this pipe problem, has a gas combi maintained by one of the venerated so called experts, from B/Gas, it leaks gas very slightly and having had its routine maintainance is still the same, so I will have to call them back when I am present to resolve it..
I rest my case.

A while back I had a part share in a narrow boat that I helped build, to conform to the boat safety scheme any joints in the gas pipe work had to be compresion fittings, they would not allow soldered joints it allways seemed strange to me but true!

I was talking to a plumber on a kitchen fit a couple of months ago, and this came up, the law is now so tough that the last person that worked on the gas system is liable if anything goes wrong.

He told me there are a couple of people working for the company he works for that if they have done the first fix he refuses to finish off the work.

I used to install all the gas cookers on a kitchen fit before Corgi became law, I even have the kit to do a pressure drop test, BUT I have just paid a plumber to install our new gas cooker at home.

Get a Gas Safe Engineer to do it.

Tom

Latest posts

Back