Gas or Air Nailer for workshop use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielb

Established Member
Reaction score
Need a ring shank nail gun to use in workshop for framing.
Which type, gas or air is best?

Needs to be a quality tool as for use outside projects and the frame will be max of 44mm and also require a stapler for welded wire mesh.
I like the look off the gas ones but the air ones seem cheaper.

After using a 2nd fix Paslode all weekend, I'd go for the air gun any day... Cheaper, simpler, more reliable, quieter (compressor dependent of course) and no horrible gassy smell after each nail. However, less portable.

My tuppence worth.

I would go for the air gun too, because if you need any other tools in the future the compressor will allow you to do this at a fraction of the cost.

Cheers

Mike

Again Air!!

Cheaper initial outlay and running costs, more reliable and no need to go out and get more gas if your out of canisters.
Only down fall with air is a hose but it don't bother me to much.

For the price of one gas nailer you can get a compressor 2 guns and a hose

Cheers guys, what about the nails, full head strip nails or clipped head strip nails?

Does it really matter which type?

I have a second fix Paslode but never use it and instead reach for my Bostitch nailers.

It takes me 1 minute to set up and charge the compressor tank. I was today using my F33 PTSM clipped head nailer for some small framing and it was loads quicker than screwing like I have done in the past.

The good thing about air tools is the range of tools. From headless pins to framing there is a tool for every job unlike the gas tools. I also bought a car tyre inflator and blow gun which can be handy.

As I don't use my guns every day or even week it seemed with the Paslode the gas was always off when I needed to use it??

Look on ebay for air tool bargains, I bought most of mine from there mostly for less than half the retail price.

Steve.

I do like the paslodes (kinda like the gas smell too) but from points of price/versatility you wont beat the compressor powered guns.

Paslodes need a bit more maintence than the others but can be very handy. No sure if the gas can go off but I was given an old brad nailer with some gas cannisters that are years old - they worked fine. I use the frame nailers at work, sometimes they can be left for a couple (few?) months without use - stick a new battery in and off they go again with no change of gas cannister.

One thing I have noticed, if your buying some of the cheaper brands of nail/gas packs (eg challenge) you never seem to have enough gas for all the nails - something thats never a problem with the paslode branded packs.

jmo

Hudson Carpentry":3pi5bagy said:
For woodworking air tools Axminster (budget but very good stuff which I would buy) or Bostitch (im not sure bosch do air nailers?)
Yes Bosch do air nailers, i was looking at the Axminster versions but will they stand up to all day use?
In past I’ve found shops own brands to be cheap and unreliable.

I don't know I don't own any but have heard noting but good things about them and the ones I have used seem very good. I tend to only use brad nailer and staplers. I have thought about a finishing nailer before but I would only use it a couple of times a month. If I was using one every day I would go for Bostitch but axi if once/twice a week

Danielb":1t8alumg said:
Hudson Carpentry":1t8alumg said:
For woodworking air tools Axminster (budget but very good stuff which I would buy) or Bostitch (im not sure bosch do air nailers?)
Yes Bosch do air nailers, i was looking at the Axminster versions but will they stand up to all day use?

they certainly do
73mtWayZftHFa4x5rU-MW7ch1FDrSZ5KEJHf3zRQyoKq2JSVImKvZNoCTxCH-rry4gaCZWM6Hp-fqHx-zRAHMquIGA9T1UcGxLwvq-IQccFo_riCHKK5blbBaA9FmvIs6ZqjMRUyRRqwbjKnrKuiYgMrx-X8GtuS6g

mark270981":tom2xj2d said:
Danielb":tom2xj2d said:
Hudson Carpentry":tom2xj2d said:

they certainly do
73mtWayZftHFa4x5rU-MW7ch1FDrSZ5KEJHf3zRQyoKq2JSVImKvZNoCTxCH-rry4gaCZWM6Hp-fqHx-zRAHMquIGA9T1UcGxLwvq-IQccFo_riCHKK5blbBaA9FmvIs6ZqjMRUyRRqwbjKnrKuiYgMrx-X8GtuS6g

I've got the Axi headless pinner and brad nailer, the brad nailer looks exactly the same (albeit with a slightly different colour scheme) to the Bosch one shown here by Mark. I can't fault the build quality, they do the job for me. I don't use them all day long, but I regularly use them throughout the day. I'd recommend them.

Cheers _Dan. :)

Does anyone know that if i was to get the Bosch Nailer GSN 90-21 RK where i can get the Full head strip nails from?
Can't seem to find them anywhere...

I agree withg the others. A compressor set up for the workshop is ideal. I would also go for a quality brand like Bostitch if you can afford it. Costco are doing a Bostitch compressor kit for about £100 + vat at the moment ( i saw them in Leeds branch last weekend) This is ideal for basic workshop use such as nailing, though not large enough for sanders or spraying.
The nail guns you need largely depend on the exact job in hand. I have a large framing nailer, brad nailers, headless pinners etc. One of the most usefull guns i have is a coil nailer which is predominantly a fencers tool but fires very neat, round head nails ideal for tacking ply to timber frames and for light framing work. Nails for air nailers are also far cheaper than the equivalent quantity for gas nailers. HTH.

Back