Gas meter box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
My son has recently moved house, the white plastic gas meter box is a wreck.

I have tried to find a new one but they seem hard to come by.

Are the gas company responsible for these ? i.e. their property, like the meter itself.

Hi, first post here.

We had the same issue when we moved into our current place. The meter box is considered part of the property and therefore the homeowner is responsible. We obtained a replacement box and were just fortunate that the guys who came to fit a smart meter were prepared to replace it FOC.

So as the previous post you would need the meter removed to fit.

Pete

Thanks chaps, I must admit I was a bit idle in posting, as a quick google provided the answer.

I think I wil make a wood one that I can fit around the meter without disturbing it.
I think I can make it less deep too ........ And a damn sight prettier!

Anyone done this??
It's an external "protruding " type.

Interesting that you can cover your gas metre. Can't do that here. We can put a screen or shrubs in front but it has to remain easily accessible to the gas company to read, the fire department to shut off and to let leaking gas escape. If it was now allowed I'm sure there would be money to be made supplying covers to people wanting to hide them. Not the prettiest things.

Pete

Inspector":1ho9nm4q said:
Interesting that you can cover your gas metre. Can't do that here. We can put a screen or shrubs in front but it has to remain easily accessible to the gas company to read, the fire department to shut off and to let leaking gas escape. If it was now allowed I'm sure there would be money to be made supplying covers to people wanting to hide them. Not the prettiest things.

All UK boxes have the same latch, which is opened by a universal, triangular key, carried by meter readers and the emergency services. So not quite as nuts as it sounds.

Pete

My gas meter is inside the porch, which is usually locked. Is this an issue? Never heard of any requirement for the gas company to have access.

My meters are on the side of the house but behind a locked gate. If I'm in when they come to read it (maybe once a year) I let them in, otherwise I assume they just go away, I've never had a 'we tried to read your meter' card left.

We are woodworkers!!!

MAKE SOMETHING to suit :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mine is inside the porch. No probs. They walk in and inspect. EOS.

I do keep getting threatening letters about a buried gas supply pipe. But as they buried it I just remind them of this. Not having their clumsy workers upsetting my block paving, and putting it to rights in ten minutes. And charging me for the privilege

John (hammer)

They say it might need unearthing for maintenance; but since they updated the pipe prior to my drive being laid, I can't see any problems with the plastic pipe they used.

I suppose technically, laying the drive was the last time any change was made, but as my contractor didn't expose the pipe, I can't see how they can complain. It runs alongside the boundary wall to my next-door neighbour, so heavy whacking was not so crucial there. Anyhow, I'm not too bothered! My drive is as flat as the day it was completed, despite my son parking a heavy-goods recovery truck on it from time to time!

John :D

Back