Gas Cooker Installation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
My new gas cooker arrived this morning but the delivery men refused to install it because (1) there is wood panelling behind the old cooker and (2) there is an electricity power point sited too close to it. Apparently, they are unable to install about 95% of the gas cookers they deliver due to similar problems. What a pity Comet didn't warn me about this when I bought it.

Can anyone point me to the regulations that govern gas cooker installation or give me advice as to how I should prepare the site? It looks as if I've now got little choice other than to refurbish the kitchen just to have the cooker installed.

Gill

:D hi Gill i,m in the same boat although I have just refurbish the kichen we were not told to much apart from :twisted: "not allowed to fit it ourselves has to be corgi reg :twisted: " I will let you know the out come

Martyn

Hi Martyn

When we bought the cooker, we paid for it to be installed. Comet said they would send their fitter down as the cooker was delivered and he would be properly qualified. I'm quite upset that after paying for installation, a qualified fitter should use such a pitiable excuse for not doing the job. The power point was to the side of the gas cooker and about 50cm above it, and I ripped out the offending cladding myself in less than 10 minutes.

Gill

Can you get your money back? I.e no explanation of the need to check before you signed for the installation. Was it serviced recently and the engineer didn't condemn it?

This happened to me with my washing machine - the excuse was "the pipe work isn't securely fixed". I reckon the blokes just try it on with everybody - making up some random fault - then they get to go home early.

Adam

Thanks, Jason - very useful. It's galling to find, though, that there was a space next to the current cooker point, complete with gas supply, which the fitters could have used.

Gill

Gill, Just out of interest what do Comet charge for the gas connection, the Corgi guy that I usually use costs me around £80 and that includes a new flexi & bayonet fitting for ovens/cookers and any pipework & fittings for hobs.

Jason

:D thanks for the link jason there is some usefull info on there :D
gill this happen with us with another appliance from comet from the start of the delivery thet stated to complane and refused to take the old one away even through it was part of the deal :evil:

get them to come back and finsh the job also ask to see his corgi card that realy upsets them the last one who came to us did not have one his boss did but not him so it was back to sq 1 .

dont let it lie

and belive it or not i'm the type that tends to keep quite :? but my much beter haf is'nt :x

martyn :D

Jason - Believe it or not, £80 all in! The only problem is, they owe me a refund now.

Martyn - I have the customer services address; Comet will certainly be hearing from me :evil: .

I'm hoping this might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I've been putting off the kitchen refurbishment for such a long time but now it's become unavoidable. In the past, I used to make and sell chutneys and pickles through a local farmshop; it would be nice to resume this business so I've written to the local environmental health officer to seek advice on designing a kitchen that will meet his requirements. If the building work doesn't turn out to be too expensive, it might be a worthwhile proposition and not just a pipe dream.

Gill

Gill

I know how you feel. A female friend of mine 84 years young had notice that a new gas meter was to be fitted. They refused to do the job because it was covered in with hardboard and it was not their job to remove it. I went there and pulled it off with my hands no tools needed. The shelf was also hardboard on two brackets. I could not remove the shelf because of the meter so made a new one for the gas fitters to replace, I could then make a decent cupboard to hide it.

You guessed right the fitters came fitted the new meter on the tatty old hardboard shelf because it was not their job to replace it with a decent strong one :roll: :roll: New meter old shelf back to square one.

Les

Latest posts

Back