Gardening multi tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonStevensCanes

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Bit off topic, but I suspect this forum has more than it's fair share of green fingers, and we all love tools so 🤷🏻‍♂️.

My wife has caught the gardening bug pretty hard this year and it's her birthday coming up so I'd like to get her something related. First thing that came to mind was a gardening specific Leatherman, only to discover that they discontinued those some time ago.

Can anybody recommend an alternative of similar quality? She's also heard of Hori knives which seem versatile does anybody have any experience with brands and quality?

Can't help on the multitool, but from memory the Leatherman one had several things that you would probably never need, like sprinkler adjustment tools.

It depends a bit on what gardening she is doing. For me, I once spent a lot (compared to what I would normally expect to) on a pair of felco secateurs, and on a strong bulldog nurseryman spade (i have had to dig out various footballs and hedges, so needed the heaviest duty thing I could find). I am grateful of spending the extra every time I use these 2 things.

The other thing that I think is great is micro/drip irrigation to keep everything watered. You can get kits or make them, I used some hydrosure branded parts from water irrigation.

Depending also on the budget, but a mantis tiller is also very useful if you are starting borders from scratch. There seem to be plenty on eBay most of the time. My dad had been telling me how good his was for years before I bought one to do some borders and I have to admit that I agree. The (at least my) soil still needs digging over but it beaks it down nicely from that point.

Hori hori knives have become very popular in recent years, if you want to treat her, get a Niwaki brand one. They're the db's (gardening equivalent to Festool!).

Also, second the vote for Felco secateurs - expensive, but genuinely life time tools. I think Felco no 6 is a slightly smaller model which SWMBO swears by.

My wife was given the Niwaki Hori knife by a friend, with the leather holster, and it is an excellent tool that she uses a great deal.

I bought her, at hear request, the one Monty Don uses which is quite a bit stronger and has a more protective guard to stop her hand slipping onto the blade, but it can inly be imported from America. A bit of googling should find it.

To start a collection of top notch tools, have a look at the Sneeboer range. These are excellent and Fergus who runs Great Dixter uses (and sells) these. Very tough for pro use. De Wit are also very good - much better than regular garden centre stuff.

I agree re Felco secateurs. I have No. 2 for 30 years and my wife uses No, 6 as her hands are smaller. We've tried various clones but the Felco's last forever, you can get the spare parts, and they are easy to strip down, sharpen and clean up (they will get dunked up with sap). I have also tried the Japanese style secateurs - the cheap ones don't use good enough steel in my experience. Good ones are superb, but even more expensive than Felco.

You could also get her a nice wooden trug to put her small garden tools in.

I've always found a good quality folding saw to be invaluable, cutting everything from thin roots to six inch branches. Great at getting into tight spaces
1615887506242.png

also I've got a huge foam kneeler, I believe it was sold for car repair, to lie on for repairs, about 4 ft long, really useful for weeding beds etc, you can just shuffle along, without having to stand up and move the kneeler every few seconds. Also use to sit on damp grass. These aren't easy to find, but are really useful

Things that make the work easier and are a pleasure to use:

Lowe Anvil Pruning Secateurs
Silky Zubat Pruning Saw

Well loved by fruit farmers and landscape gardeners. Expensive, but worth it.

Moving the thread slightly sideways I wonder whether your wife grows things from seed. If so the Agralan propagator is a very interesting "multitool". I love sowing seeds and this Is the perfect time of year for it.

I don't think you can ever have enough pairs of secateurs... and a Felco is perhaps the best. Take AJB Temple's advice on sizing.

Felco are good for secateurs, but I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZY4XA9KDavaon Pro Bypass Secateurs
they have a handle that rotates slightly as you cut which takes huge amounts of pressure off the wrist - so much more comfortable to use... (and have had them 5 years now with virtually no sharpening / loss of cutting ability)
61zWw1d1kAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I don't know about the davaon ones but don't be tempted by the felco rotating handles, they are horrible to use. Having worked in commercial orchards years ago felco and silky are the pruning tools of choice.
Take a look at PKS bronze tools. I use the Mira trowel at work and home, it's the kind of tool that becomes an extension of your hand. Looks good in the presentation box too.

I suspect a Hori Hori knife would make the better gift, although get one with a leather holster, not the canvas. Get a sheathed Hori Hori and a tool roll and then you're all set for gift ideas for Xmas and the next Birthday with additional tools to add to the roll.

As regards gardening, having become aged - physically if not mentally! - I was delighted at a rural auction to come across a vintage Terrex spade that also has a garden fork attachment. It's a spring-loaded affair that makes digging a dawdle.
Used to do garden with an old rotavator, but I hate anything with a pull-start....

Wolf Garten is my choice. Start off with a hoe or rake, build up over time?
Bit pricy but well made and a heck of a range.

I am genuinely impressed with my scarifier rake and nice long ash handle. I'll definitely be adding different heads as i need things.

Also prefer a felco no 6 as most of the time they're more than enough.

And for the handmade thoughtful gift... Hand whittled dibber with depth lines from something nice. My last one was made with bright yellow berberis wood. A bunch of labels made with sticks either split down the middle or with a flat carved in. A "ruler" from a long stick with 10cm marking.

Back