Garden Workshop Purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gill,

I know how you feel! Isn't that sinking feeling horrid when the bloke says he doesn't know anything? Fortunately the promised delay doesn't sound too bad. Keep taking the pills!

Gill, bummer. :( And yes, dreaming about a shed is a little bit sad, bit on the other hand I for one can't really cast the first stone... :wink:

GillD":3mo8fydq said:
The camera is a Fujifilm FinePix A330 3.2 mega pixels.
<pun>Snap!</pun>

Cheers, Alf

Unlucky Gill.

I, like you decided that buying a shed was a good solution when I wanted to get my workshop ambitions realised a bit quicker. I'd rung and ordered one, and checked up a couple of days prior. "Sorry mate - running 3 weeks behind. Hope thats not a problem". "Err, yes actually it is" I said, "I've been working flat out to get the patio ready on time, and now you tell me you are running behind - I specifically asked, and it was agreed delivery would be this weekend as I've got people coming to help." - "Sorry mate" he said. "Thats OK", said I. "I cancel the order".... "but" he said, before the line went dead. Anyway, I built it myself in the less than 3 weeks, to a higher standard. Although looking at the photos you took, it looks like you are buying quite a well constructed building, rather than just a "shed".

Hope they get it sorted quickly.

Adam

Good for you Adam!
That's the kind of treatment companies need when they deal with us like that.
Just think what a difference a polite phonecall to yourself from the company would have made, what, 1 week earlier? You might still have wanted to cancel the order, but possibly not with so much frustration.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Gill. Why do these things always take so much longer than we allow for :(

I have one of those Walton sheds not much cop and needed a lot of uprating wouldn't recommend it.
Anyone see that shed at Alli Palli last week? now that was a proper workshop. Quite pricey though, but with double glazing :shock:

Res.

Gill, I sympathise with your frustrations, I was off last week to kick on with the building of my workshop, having arranged with the builder to have the deadwork finished the previous friday, dum de dum and a number of excuses later the floor was poured wednesday, so construction did not start till thursday evening - after I had discovered that said builder must have left his measuring tape at home - th base was off by 6" in the long dimension (should have been18' is 16'8 at back and 17'2 at the front), and 8" off in the short dimension (should have been 13', is 11'9" on the left and 12'5" on the right!)

Good job I'm building the structure myself, a pre-bought one might have struggled to fit! I have the framing finished, and hope to get back tommorow to "work from home" for the rest of the week, so we may be holding our workshop warming parties on the same day :wink:

Hope it works out for you this week

Les

Hi Les

That builder must have been such a frustration :x . I bet he still charged you for the materials based on the quoted size. I hope you still have the floor space necessary to fit everything into the workshop that you'll need. All being well, mine should be up and have at least one coating of Sikkens Cetol (how expensive is that stuff? :shock: ) on the outside plus the first of several coatings of varnish on the floor by the end of next weekend. Then I'll happily drink to many hours of wood mangling on both sides of the water.

Someone has suggested that I keep a photodiary of how my new workshop progresses. I must admit, it sounds rather appealing although I hope nobody will expect me to take the matter too seriously ;) :).

Gill

Hi Gill,

Yes, the Sikkens stuff certainly is expensive compared with other wood protection products.

However, after I overcame the initial shock I realised that it is but a small price to pay for the excellent protection it gives to the initial investment. I reckon it's the best and, with a maintenance coat every three years, my garden buildings remain as good as new, and look good too. Hope this helps to soften the blow. :wink: Happy drinking! :D :D

Cheers,

Trev.

Gill, Don't get me started on frustration - the reason I hired a "professional" to do it was so that everything would be square and level for me to build off it - as a friend of mins said at the weekend "We could have made that kind of a Ba**s of the job ourselves!"

As to if everything will fit.... I hope so 'cause LOML will be most upset if she does'nt get the spare bedroom back soon! I may have to put some of the plans on a hotwash cycle to shrink them slightly, but I guess I'm lucky to be able to build a workshop that big in the first place - a boyhood dream finally coming to fruition in mid life - and you thought a couple of dreams was bad!

GillD":1ndahddl said:
Someone has suggested that I keep a photodiary of how my new workshop progresses. I must admit, it sounds rather appealing although I hope nobody will expect me to take the matter too seriously ;) :).
Ooo, yes please. And the less serious the better. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

les did the builder have 1 foot shorter than the other and thats why he got it a bit short i dont think he can read a tape measure :wink: :roll: :roll:

Back