Garden Trug

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those woodworkers who have a decent set of tools but lack patience in using them. I use wood from pallets or bits I retrieve when visiting the local waste disposal site. In this case a neighbour gave me the wooden contents of a bed from which I made a garden trug. I chaffered the edges to 10% and glued together to make the curve. Then hand planed and sanded the body to give a smooth barrel look. The ends were made of the same material, glued and then screwed in place to make the whole unit firm. The handle assembly was designed to be moveable from side to side to allow access. Finally sanded down, stained and after a final light sanding I used car polish to give a waterproof shine. From the stuff I see on here I can only dream of being that good but if you don't try!!!
20211220_105605.jpg
20211220_110914.jpg

Looks nice.

I'd varnish it and line with polythene sheets if your planting plants in it.

Looks great and nice to see reclaimed wood being given another life (y), maybe round of those corners on the stand pieces:unsure: as a knock or three will possibly split along the grain rather than just scuff across the surface :)

Looks nice.

I'd varnish it and line with polythene sheets if your planting plants in it.
Thanks Jameshow, it's to be used by my wife to carry around the garden when she goes dead heading and general weeding. It's not heavy and more than that, it's not plastic!

Looks great and nice to see reclaimed wood being given another life (y), maybe round of those corners on the stand pieces:unsure: as a knock or three will possibly split along the grain rather than just scuff across the surface :)
Good point I should have done that. It's wrapped up now so I do that in the new year before my wife ventures into a cold wet garden.

I'll add my admiration as well. The planning is good and it's well executed as well
Lovely comment, thank you. I tend to look at shapes of the wood I have, move them around and eventually come with an idea. Usually scribble it out on a piece of paper. After a couple of thinking days I formulate a plan of action and then go for it. The problem is I have a habit of changing my mind during the process and sometimes end up with a total mess of badly fitting parts. This project I kept to my plan and took my time. End result is a piece of work I'm happy with and some nice encouraging comments to make me want to do more.

Back