Garden trellis pergola thingy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not exactly fine woodworking, but I have knocked this up over the last couple of weeks. I had to buy the four posts, but everything else is cut from the old rafters from the shack that used to stand where my workshop now is. My mate Charlie helped me to get it in place.
IMG_20200907_182825.jpg
IMG_20200907_182746.jpg

:) This is its first year in that spot, so I've not been harvesting it. Prior to that it was on the other side of the garden and prior to that it was in Ray's garden (you remember Ray...).
But I did have to move some out of the way to dig the post holes, so I did actually pull a bit at the weekend. I made AWT's rhubarb crumble (Rumble Crumble in my house). It's the best RC in the world, it really is.

Clematis, probably. I know nothing about gardening, I used to have Staff for that sort of thing :) But I'm quite enjoying learning.
S

That's a very impressive job you've done there Steve.

But I think the leprachaun chappie doing a Riverdance jig lets the image down a bit. I'd shoo him away if I were you.

LOL , and thank you. But it is nothing special. Just some chunky pegged mortice and tenon joinery for the bottom and a whole load of halving joints up top.
Incidentally, all my halving joints fitted perfectly in the workshop. Then I took them outside to creosote them, and they stayed outside for a week or so.
When we came to erect it, every single one of those joints was too tight. I had to run a Japanese saw down each of them to get them to go together.
Site work, eh? At least it wasn't in someone else's garden, miles away from my workshop.

Steve,
my wife and I between jobs used to fix up houses....once the house work/jobs were done we always built those kinda structures...love seats etc.....some very big, well big enough to cover our 6m caravan......
She grew Clematis mostley over them but we never got to see it in full bloom as it were.....
we'd ususlly sold......hahaha.....
In France we did the same thing......but in 16 years the Clematis never really took hold.....
U guessed it until we put it up for sale.....I know it helped a lot....Clematis, Montana Rubins.....
Now were a lot further south we are planting climbing Jasmin and Bouganvillia instead.....
Nicest thing tho, the Jasmin is night sented.....
also here we use a lot of cactus and other drought loving plants...Geraniums the size of a bushes.....
we do have a couple of decent beds next to the house with Dhalias and other stuff, I have no idea what but they now have automatic irregation.....
I was always lacking in garden design, I'd find somebody to help with that....I just love a well laid out garden....
So along with ur Airendack chairs it will look great.....
lastley, I kept a peice of me dads Rhubarb for years but I'm sure it got sick of moving house.....sure miss proper crumble but the belly size dont....hahaha...

Back