Garden table with dominos??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I've just bought Pike's Festool domino XL and am planning to make a garden table. Would domino joinery last the test of time outdoors on an heavy oak table? I should add the table is 2.5m x 1m with one piece solid 50mm thick oak top. A joiner I respect doesn't think so and advices pegged mortice and tenon joinery, but I would also like your thoughts. T.I.A.

The sipo dominos are designed for outside use. Those with suitable glue should work.

Froggy":21pgauub said:
Hi all, I've just bought Pike's Festool domino XL and am planning to make a garden table. Would domino joinery last the test of time outdoors on an heavy oak table? I should add the table is 2.5m x 1m with one piece solid 50mm thick oak top. A joiner I respect doesn't think so and advices pegged mortice and tenon joinery, but I would also like your thoughts. T.I.A.
I built an outside bike shed about 2 years ago and the frame is all held together with double 10mm dominos and it is still standing.

I even used the plain Beech dominos with water proof PVA, but as has been said you probably want the Sipo ones.

If you are that concerned, why not machine up some dominos from the same material as the table. Then it is just a question of whether you trust the glue or not. If you really wanted to, you could do through wedged dominos.

I made a very nice round patio table with biscuits, once upon a time. It lasted a winter before I had a pile of firewood.
The problem was the glue more than the biscuits, I think. If you use a D4 adhesive (Cascamite, Gorilla PU, Toolstation D4(recently bought but not yet used)), I think you will have much more success. It's the glue that is the weak point in outdoor woodwork, I think.

marcros":2rzolbnw said:
The sipo dominos are designed for outside use. Those with suitable glue should work.

Exactly as Marcros said.

But it has to be both, sipo dominos and a proper adhesive like Cascamite. If you just use one then you might as well not bother and use neither, as your table will still fall apart after a year or two.

One more thing, for maximum strength you should apply glue to both the tenon and to the mortice. On an outdoor project I'll take that further and try to fully coat the tenon and the mortice with a resin based external adhesive like Cascamite or Epoxy. It's belt and braces but I'm always concerned that a cavity like a mortice could become a trap for water and then promote rot, a good coating of resin adhesive will hopefully minimise that risk.

Take your joiner friend's advice. Maybe do the mortises with the Domino.

Thanks for the advice guys. I had planned on using Titebond III but as it's not mentioned by any of you I guess that's not a good option? I always thought I was safe with that as it's exterior and waterproof.

Froggy":2xfkptd4 said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I had planned on using Titebond III but as it's not mentioned by any of you I guess that's not a good option? I always thought I was safe with that as it's exterior and waterproof.
Yeah that's what I used for my bike storage/shed thing. I am a little concerned posters are saying don't use PVA...the water proof stuff is supposed to be waterproof is it not?!

Anyways, mine is still standing after a couple of winters :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

custard":2jnwzl38 said:
.......... I'm always concerned that a cavity like a mortice could become a trap for water and then promote rot, a good coating of resin adhesive will hopefully minimise that risk.

Surely a good reason for Pu as the foaming, although not structural, will fill any small cavities. I've used Wudcare in marine environment for many years and never had a failure - so far :)

Back