garden shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I need some advise on building a shed. I've looked at some commercial ones and was amazed at the rubbish construction and materials used so I am going to attempt to make my own. It will be about 2.2 mtr square with a sloping roof to match my garage. What size timber should I use for the frame and would 1/2 inch ply be strong enough for the roof?It will be attached to my garage so stability should be no problem.

Jaymar

Can't really offer specific advice on construction other than to say that I would use tradition joints where possible e.g. mortice and tenon or lap when constructing the framework rather than nailed butt joints that the rubbish you see around uses.

Good luck with the project

I purchased what was called a chalet abourt 7 years ago. Its as good as the day it was first errected.
The design was on the sweedish chalet, 4x1 1/2 T&G but built log cabin style, with notches that drop in at each corner.

2x2 supports inside at each corner and around top and bottom edges. I paid around £1200, size 10x10. Good enough to sleep in if you are banished from the home for staying at the tools too long.

Hi Jaymar,

It really depends what use this shed is going to have. If its just for storing a lawn mower and a hose pipe then construction soesnt have to be that great. If its to be an office/workshop then thats a different matter :D

I build my 16' by 10' workshop from 2"x4" tannelised timber. I built the 4 sides seperately then used coach bolts to bolt the sides together. Much easier than trying to tenon the end of a 16' length of timber! I just used angle brackets to join the frams members (proper ones, not the tiny brackets with 4 screw holes in). I clad the outside in shiplap, 16mm thick, 125mm deep and clad the inside with loft insulation between the frame members, damp proof membrane over that and 11mm OSB as the internal wall surface. 18mm OSB for the floor over further 2" by 4" joists and DPM, and 18mm OSB on more 2" by 4" rafters covered over with roofing felt on the outside. I did consider ply as you suggest, but OSB was cheaper. I surface mount my electric cables in conduit but using 2x4 gives you plenty of room to hide them if you wish, and space to drill through a frame support without weakening it.

This is probably overkill for what it is, but its solid, doesnt move in the wind, watertight and damn warm in the summer! If you want to save on cost 3x2 for the frames would do fine. If its just a storage shed I would leave out the back wall, bolt the sides directly to the garage wall and lap your roof under the garage eaves then seal with sealant or lap lead flashing into the garage brickwork to be totally sure.

Hope that helps!

Steve.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking 3x2 for the frame so it is good to have it confirmed.I will also work out the joints as I don't like nailed butt joints.
Maybe I'll post a photo when it's finished

Back