Garden Pergola

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethharvey

Established Member
Reaction score
I will be helping my next door neighbour build a pergola later this year, once the Covid restrictions have been removed.

He has looked at a few Oak ones, size is 6mts X 3mts. The cost of these are around £5,500

I suggested he buy the timber and we build one ourselves. Is there any advantage of using seasoned Oak over green?

I was so astounded at that price that I had a look on-line. Sure enough, people are charging £5k plus VAT and delivery for a basic Pergola (ie no roof). For example: https://www.iwood.co.uk/oak-pergolas/?b ... members=14

To build the above would cost less than £1000 in high grade green oak. You can even buy ready made braces if you are feeling lazy for about £25 each, curved and with tenons formed. Probably three days labour to make the frame, most of which is cutting the mortice holes for the braces and top frame, and chopping out (if you want to) to make the top cross members secure.

Definitely do it yourselves. Get yourselves a big Triton planer for £250 (or less) and save a great deal of time getting a decent surface on the sawn oak.

It does seem hell of a markup if it is £1000 of material and 2 people X 3 days at say £200 a day.

Thanks, we will be making it ourselves, will be a nice project and sure to keep me busy.

I have a fairly heavy duty thicknesser here which we will put to the test. Never worked with green Oak so looking forward to it

AJB Temple":wr165io4 said:
I was so astounded at that price that I had a look on-line. Sure enough, people are charging £5k plus VAT and delivery for a basic Pergola (ie no roof). For example: https://www.iwood.co.uk/oak-pergolas/?b ... members=14

To build the above would cost less than £1000 in high grade green oak. You can even buy ready made braces if you are feeling lazy for about £25 each, curved and with tenons formed. Probably three days labour to make the frame, most of which is cutting the mortice holes for the braces and top frame, and chopping out (if you want to) to make the top cross members secure.

Definitely do it yourselves. Get yourselves a big Triton planer for £250 (or less) and save a great deal of time getting a decent surface on the sawn oak.

Mind popping up a link for some kind of starting point with regards to the green oak? Best

Talk to Michael Askew at Wealden Oak. He is not far from East Grinstead so it depends where you live. He will mill to size if required. http://wealdenoak.co.uk/shop/milling-services/

You may find it extremely difficult to run 150mm or 180mm beams through your PT. I have one as well and I still use a big hand held planer and a big belt sander. This is because unless you have a very good roller set up and a lot of space in your workshop, you will find it unsafe to handle a heavy green oak beam through your machine.

You can also expect that the timber will have a few ripples and knobbly bits - it is not like the stuff we normally put through a PT. The sawmills have kit that will handle this easily.

Get yourselves organised with some really sturdy trestles as well. Think carefully about what size timbers you want to use for the main beams connecting the posts. Lifting is a challenge. I have a tripod crane. You may well be able to lift yours as two complete sides (like a traditional raise) if you have enough muscle to hand.

Best of luck with this. I am sure it will be a really fun project.

garethharvey":2qxhtsz8 said:
Thanks, we will be making it ourselves, will be a nice project and sure to keep me busy.

I have a fairly heavy duty thicknesser here which we will put to the test. Never worked with green Oak so looking forward to it

If you make or buy some infeed/outfeed tables or stands you should be fine to run them through the thicknesser.

Back