Garden Multi Tool Recommendations Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMonka

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello good folk.
As per the title I’m looking for a recommendation for a new petrol garden multi tool (strimmer, long reach hedge trimmer, and pole saw as a minimum).
For the last few years I’ve had the Ryobi Expand-It range, and whilst the engine is performing brilliantly the gear box has gone in the hedge trimmer and the chain on the pole saw now doesn’t work as somehow the teeth that fit in to the bar bent within 15min of use.
I’m keen on the multi tool route as I don’t really use them enough for it to be worth keeping multiple engines maintained.

So which products or brands should I be looking at for stuff that will last a good few years? It’s just home use rather than pro level, but I’m fed up of tools that don’t last.

I have one I bought from Axminster about 3 years ago. Laughably called "easy start", but the generic Chinese rubbish. It works - but I am using it once a year to trim our hedges. That's about 90 minutes of run time. I am amazed how much fuel it uses in that time and I am also amazed it still works. If I was starting again, I would go down the Stihl route - more expensive, but you can buy 2nd hand and you can actually sell it for something if you don't want it.

Another for Stihl.
I have the base motor unit then extra extension pole, hedgetrimmer, strimmer and chainsaw and it's superb compared to most of the others.
Bloody expensive, cost me best part of a grand a couple of years ago but I certainly won't wear it out.

Yet another Stihl kombi recommendation, I wouldn’t be without it I use mine weekly through out the grass cutting season, mainly for strimming, and hedge trimming, I do also have the rotary brush attachment which is excellent for artificial grass.

I think the two best are the Stihl which is two stroke with 4 or 5 engine version or the Honda which is the only 4 stroke I believe and has two engine sizes. The Honda is heavier, but is quieter, doesn’t need the oil mix beforehand and then drain / run dry after each use of a 2 stroke. You can just pop it away after use without worries of the carb gumming up. You rarely if ever see the Honda for sale secondhand so it’s hard to consider secondhand prices. The Stihl secondhand is a bit of lottery a lot have been used and thrashed by professionals who sell them on when they start having problems.

Stihl last year I understand introduced a new lighter head assembly for their long reach hedge trimmer. Although I like the idea of it being lighter I’m always a little concerned that it could be at the expense of longevity/ robustness.

Each has similar tools and accessories. Both have ‘professional use’ harnesses which are a big upgrade compared to the standard that comes with the machine. I think the Honda standard one is slightly better than the Stihl, but that’s probably a personal choice.

The extension attachment system is different. I’d compare them and decide which you prefer. I think the Honda is a more intuitive system and a more positive lock, but that is a personal opinion.

if you do go for the stihl, dont buy the strimmer only head, buy the brushcutter head with the metal blade and the seperate strimmer head attachment. you can fit a strimmer head to a brushcutter shaft but NOT a brushcutter blade to a strimmer shaft. a dealer will know about this trick

flying haggis":318ydb3o said:
if you do go for the stihl, dont buy the strimmer only head, buy the brushcutter head with the metal blade and the seperate strimmer head attachment. you can fit a strimmer head to a brushcutter shaft but NOT a brushcutter blade to a strimmer shaft. a dealer will know about this trick
+1
Forgot about that, what I was advised to do by the dealer.

Thanks everyone, seems it fairly conclusive that Stihl is recommended (with an honourable mention to Honda :wink: )
Do they do a more amateur range, or is it all pro stuff?
I’ll check if there’s a local dealer as they don’t seem as readily available at the normal shops.

AIUI the dealers are instructed to only sell direct("so they can demonstrate the product and how to use it safely") and anyone selling online wont be supplied by stihl.
does this mean the prices are higher than necessary, you decide.....
but when I rang my local dealer to order the brushcutter shaft and strimmer head, when i went to collect it was "thanks, you have paid, here is the box bye!"

I like stihl kit as the parts stay available for ages and are pretty inexpensive compared with cheaper brands.
Having said that I have Efco kit that has done very well, 15 years heavy use before the last one died, number two is 7 years in and still going strong.

flying haggis":3ip575vw said:
AIUI the dealers are instructed to only sell direct("so they can demonstrate the product and how to use it safely") and anyone selling online wont be supplied by stihl.
does this mean the prices are higher than necessary, you decide.....
but when I rang my local dealer to order the brushcutter shaft and strimmer head, when i went to collect it was "thanks, you have paid, here is the box bye!"

They are supposed to deal only in person but I knew what I wanted and looked for the best price online as there are or at least were dealers discounting, I then went to my local dealer and spoke to the owner and managed to get a deal. You will get a discount if you push hard but like buying cars it depends how their sales are doing and how much stock they have when you go in.

If they're the only dealer in your area just tell them you'll be visiting a relative, going on holiday, whatever to other areas so can buy elsewhere but you would much rather support your local business. :wink:

Latest posts

Back