Garden gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_belgium

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally started on my garden gate https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10169&highlight=

The wood i chose is Aphselia Doussie, since (according to my wood supplier) it is virtually immune to shrinking.

I need two gates, a small one for visitors (about 1m wide) and a large one for the driveway (about 5m wide).

I started with the small one, here are some pics, all comments and criticism are welcome but bear in mind that this is the first ever major woodworking I have done.

Dimensions are, 1m wide, 1.4m high

Main beams are 14,5cm high, 8cm wide

Boards are 14,5 cm high, 2cm wide

The gate isn't glued yet, it's just loose fitted now, the gap you see on top goes away when I tighten it with a ratchet strap around the gate.

223085831.jpg

Tenons on the main beam are 20mm thick, 60mm long. You can see that the wood is dirty from the transport in the back of my car, any suggestion of getting is clean again? I think sanding is the solution, any other ideas? The wood will not be treated in any way, no paint, oil, varnish or anything.

223085843.jpg

All the mortice and tenon joints were made with my trusty Bosh router. I made a jig out og mdf for every different tenon and mortice i needed. The making of the jigs went rather fast, I'm gonna junk them anyway after this project, so i just nailed them together with my nail gun. They worked perfectly.

Tenon jig
223087411.jpg

223087433.jpg

Mortice jig
223085859.jpg

223085879.jpg

The finished mortice
223085868.jpg

As you can see I have some tear outs (or whatever it's called)this is because of the low quality of my router bits and my saw blades, but i can't afford anything better right now, so this will have to do. Same problem when squaring the mortice corners, I don't have mortice chisel, only a regular chisel.

Finished tenon

223087401.jpg

This was the first tenon i did, and i messed up a bit when cleaning the tenon shoulders. Bought a small tenon saw, and hopefully the next ones will be a bit better. Even tough I am pretty proud of myself, because when i assemble the gate, it looks very good, with practically no gaps on the joints.

This is the steel structure I welded wich i am gonna fix aphselia boards to, to make a post to hang the small gate on.
223087397.jpg

Now for the Questions.

- What glue do you guys recommend, i have searched this site and the web a bit, and my preference goes to Titebond II, good choice or is there a better glue for this?

- Is glue strong enough for a construction like this? Or should I also drawbore and dowel the mortices? What Diam dowel should I use?

- For fixing the boards to the steel structure of the post, would glue alone be OK or should I screw the boars to the steel? I'm thinking of using TEC7 glue for this, anyone have any good or bad experience with this glue? It comes highly recommended by my supplier.(wich offcourse is salesman talk :D )

Thanks for your time, Christof

Hi chris, nice gate.

I would use polyurothane glue for an outdoor gate. It will be plenty strong enough and is 100% waterproof.

It is a bit messy though. Make sure you wear some disposable gloves or you will have black hands for a month.

The glue actually foams up when it dries and is very easily cleaned up with a chisel/scraper.

Hi Chris,

Nice gate :)

I'd be very intersted to see what you do for your 5M wide gate... I'm planning on doing a sliding 5.5M gate on a steel frame later this year once I get someone to do all the dirtywork of digging through concrete to lay the track for the gate to run on.

I particularly like your clad gate-post idea.

Titebond III is good for outdoor use (waterproof) and not as messy as polyurethane.

Andrew

PowerTool":24tyvrj4 said:
Titebond III is good for outdoor use (waterproof) and not as messy as polyurethane.

Andrew

Checked the Titebond website, and it states that it should not be used for load bearing joints. So I think i'm gonna go for titebond II.

Back