Garden Gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning,

I'm after some advice regarding a garden gate build.

This is due to a bit of a garden overhaul.

On what I have read gates shouldn't exceed 4 feet in the width, probobly due to sagging, and my gap is hitting around the 5 feet mark.

I don't really want to make double doors if possible therefore is there any other solution or ideas to this?

Regards
Phil

You can make them whatever width you want as long as the frames are strong enough. My drive gates (pair) are each about 6 feet wide but I made the frames substantial and use long strap hinges too. Barn doors are often about this width (or a bit more) and double the height, so I don't think it is a problem. You can always fit a wheel at the end at risk of sagging.

Make sure the hinges can take twice the weight of your gate, and put a diagonal brace across the gate. It will be there forever.

Thanks for the advice lads.

Been on hol for a few weeks therefore could you advise on the best hinges to use?

Would the normal "T" hinges do?

Any links to the type I should be using?

Regards
Phil

Agreed. I use galvanised agricultural hinges available as above from Jacksons or most agricultural merchants. You can get these in many sizes and varieties. You can hang off the inner face or side face. Top pin is often put upside down to stop the gate being lifted off.

Back