Garden bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
I need your help, I am renewing my Garden bench, I have two iron ends and removed the decayed slats, they are 2 1/4 x 3/4 inches, 4 feet long what kind of timber would be suitable? and would a firm supply them to size?

Please advise me.
guyos

I seem to remember a company on eBay supplying these.

I would use something like oak, iroko, possibly larch.

Yes I agree, iroko probably, (poor mans Teak) or that timber they use for lorry beds - sorry the name escapes me. But it is very good at being left out in the rain

Chestnut and cedar are also possibles. I have cedar of Lebanon on mine which is very soft but the section is large and the length short
Aidan

Keruing, thanks yes that’s the one, quite nasty to work with I believe, if I remember rightly the splinters can cause nasty infections. Ian

Keruing, thanks yes that’s the one, quite nasty to work with I believe, if I remember rightly the splinters can cause nasty infections. Ian
I've worked it only once - to make a Gate Post - destroyed the blades on my hand-held power planer just taking chamfers off the corners! Pretty much indestructible.

Back