Garden bench try-out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorgoz

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished this garden bench. It's made from yellow poplar because it's a try-out for the real thing, finished with heavily thinned marine spar varnish (wiping varnish).

Sorry no wip pictures, never seem to think about those. I'll take some when i need to make another one.

6935820999_f4e3dc6cbe_z.jpg

6935818823_39181fdab5_z.jpg

6789705576_cf3a2cc38e_z.jpg

6935819557_38206516d8_z.jpg

MickCheese":3w4o4s3p said:
That's very nice, is it your design or from a plan?

Mick

Plan, featured in a FW magazine article. May/June 2008 issue.

I changed the front rail though as the original was straight and i cut the top of mine at a 9° degree angle so the seat curvature is continued through.

Very nice indeed. I might just crib that if I can find the article.
What timber will you use for the next version?

thanks for posting
Bob

I'm thinking of several wood species. Sweet chestnut is my first choice. Also would like to try american white oak and pau amarello if i can find it over here. I prefer light colored woods, but woods suited for outdoor use tend to be in the darker spectrum. If the customer is ok with it i'll also offer a padauk version. I really don't like woods with big silica deposits like makore for example. It's quite cheap but a drag to work with.

Another wood i thought about was robinia, but the timber merchant told me it's quite a nervous (unstable) timber so that's out of the question.

I'll be looking for an easy finishing option, to keep it from graying to much, not good for wood in the long run, something oil-marine varnish blend i think.

Cracking piece - really love the finish. What will you do with the prototype?

I made it as a try-out for a project of which i'm a part, which among other things will entail a zen-garden. This particular one has been sold and put in the garden of a landscaping-gardening contractor.

Back